Ph Low For Cichlids

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by matt 63, Apr 25, 2018.

1. matt 63

matt 63 Valued Member Member

How can I naturally raise my pH up a little for my African cichlid tank? It's at 7.4 and really want it around 8.0-8.2

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Fishlore VIP Member

Is there a way you could test your GH and KH? Those matter more than your PH. As long as your PH is steady, I'd leave it alone.

3. OP
    OP
    matt 63

Never tested for that before, how do I go about that? and it's pretty steady just dropped a little after cycle

4. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

API sells a test kit just for KH and GH. Less than $15 on Amazon if I remember.

I used crushed coral, in a stocking, in my filter. Worked great short term. Not sure how often, if ever, you would need to replace it.

I put in a ball the size between a golf ball and a base ball.

It raised mine from 6.4 to 7.0 in a 36. Then the tap PH went back up and I removed it. Not sure but my tap comes from a lake/river between 2 lakes. Only had the tank since 11/17. They drew the lake down severely in December to make room for winter runoff. I don’t understand why this would affect PH but that is what my tests say.

5. OP
    OP
    matt 63

Ok I'll try that than, thanks for the advice, I just want everything to be perfect for my cichlids

6. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

I had to buy a 20 lb bag to get 6 ounces, but I have enough for forever?

7. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Captive bred Africans do not need a pH adjustment given your not south of 6.5 or north of 9. Keep the water consistent, feed the recommended foods, and they’ll thrive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice