Ph Low For Cichlids

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Is there a way you could test your GH and KH? Those matter more than your PH. As long as your PH is steady, I'd leave it alone.

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Never tested for that before, how do I go about that? and it's pretty steady just dropped a little after cycle

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
API sells a test kit just for KH and GH. Less than $15 on Amazon if I remember.

I used crushed coral, in a stocking, in my filter. Worked great short term. Not sure how often, if ever, you would need to replace it.

I put in a ball the size between a golf ball and a base ball.

It raised mine from 6.4 to 7.0 in a 36. Then the tap PH went back up and I removed it. Not sure but my tap comes from a lake/river between 2 lakes. Only had the tank since 11/17. They drew the lake down severely in December to make room for winter runoff. I don’t understand why this would affect PH but that is what my tests say.

matt 63

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok I'll try that than, thanks for the advice, I just want everything to be perfect for my cichlids

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
matt 63 said:
Ok I'll try that than, thanks for the advice, I just want everything to be perfect for my cichlids
I had to buy a 20 lb bag to get 6 ounces, but I have enough for forever?

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Captive bred Africans do not need a pH adjustment given your not south of 6.5 or north of 9. Keep the water consistent, feed the recommended foods, and they’ll thrive.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom