ph levels

Discussion in 'pH' started by ratty-the-rat, May 6, 2006.

1. ratty-the-ratNew MemberMember

5g tank doing fishless cycle all going well with my levels.but cant seem to get Ph down.tap water 7.0 Tank at the moment 8.5. done water changes.after a day Ph goes back to 8.5 . tank contains gravel.plastic plants,heater ,filter , air pump. is there a natural substance like type of rock or stone or real plants that i can add to bring down my Ph . i don't want to use chemicals.

my temp runs at a constant 26 degrees going down to 25 at night . heater set at 20 degrees,Ive had the heater off for a week as well no change in temp. is this temp OK for fish. most say 24 degrees is the best temp.

thanks for any help

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Adding driftwood to the tank is a natural way to get the ph down in your tank. It may make your water a little yellowish in the beginning, but this will not hurt your fish. What type of substrate do you have in your tank. Crushed coral will definately raise the ph level. Your temp. between 24 and 26 is fine. I believe the recommendation here in the states is usually 78 degrees farenheit, which is is a little under 26 degrees celcius. Keep up the good work! ;)

3. ncjeValued MemberMember

Adding a little peat to the filter would help also. Look up discus care on google, there are many suggestions to keep PH down.

Gunnie do you have a pic of your Neolamprologus? Love these fish.

4. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

2.jpg

Yep. They are great fish. Butterfly has a tank full of them also. ;)

5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

;D Just for you ncje they are commonly called Multis for short.
    Carol

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice