PH levels?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by joules, Mar 25, 2006.

1. joulesNew MemberMember

I checked my ph level in my tank for the first time and it was 7.6, I know that 7 is neutral, but is 7.6 ok? How do you lower the level?

2. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

One could lower the pH with a chemical you add, like pH Up, pH Down, Bullseye 7.0 (they make this in several different pH values, like 8.2, 5.8, etc.).  But you probably shouldn't, as this will make the pH fluctuate too fast, and this can stress your fish and make them sick.  Your pH should be fine.  A stable pH is (within limits, you wouldn't keep, say, mollies in a pH of 4...) more important than the pH itself.  My pH is 8.0, my tap water is 7.8 out of the tap :eek:

3. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

Well done Emma! Unless your fish are wild caught or the ph in the tank they came from is significantly different from yours, the ph should be fine. You can usually take a little more time in acclimating them by floating the bag, and then adding tank water to the bag every 15 or 30 minutes for a few hours to help them adjust. ;)

4. OP
    OP
    j

joulesNew MemberMember

I wasn't sure about the PH! This is great. I guess the test that I have said it should be around 7 so I just assumed I had to get it there. I guess I will just leave it alone and not mess with it, is this the best thing to do?

???

5. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

yeah, that's the best thing to do, plus you don't want to be dumping a ton of chemicals in your tank ;)

6. OP
    OP
    j

joulesNew MemberMember

:)Thanks for the help...... ;)

7. JonWell Known MemberMember

btw what type of fish do you have? certain fish like different ph's so 7.6 could be ideal... i wouldnt alter it even if you had fish that preferred lower pH like tetras and such but just out of curiosity what is in the tank?

8. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

7.6 is better than a lot of people's tap water (including mine :p). Don't mess with it, chemicals are probably more harmful to fish than a slightly less than ideal pH. Remember that the fish store has the same water as you do, so the fish are already acclimated somewhat. In my opinion, pH is not really all that important.

9. OP
    OP
    j

joulesNew MemberMember

I have 3 tetras and 7 flowlight tetras in the tank.

10. JonWell Known MemberMember

tetras prefer slightly acidic water like 6.5 but 7.6 will be fine if you just keep it steady.. gl wit ure fish

11. vin

vinWell Known MemberMember

Sometimes having an airstone in the tank will help to lower the pH because it causes the water to 'gas out' evenly. Also, having live plants in your tank will help the pH as well.

12. 0morrokh

0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Actually I'm pretty sure having an air stone will raise the pH.
    Your fish will be fine as long as the pH remains stable.

13. vin

vinWell Known MemberMember

Actually the more you agitate water, the better your ability stabilize your pH. Mine is 7.0 out of the tap and I have an airstone. My pH is a steady 7.0.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice