pH Levels In Tank

Discussion in 'pH' started by tanksalot, Jul 12, 2015.

1. tanksalot

tanksalot New Member Member

Hi! Okay so I had my water tested and my pH levels were low-ish. (It was more of a orange/yellow than a dark orange.)

So I have Prime and I will definitely use that and after I use my Prime and let it cycle, I will have to, of course, so about a 25% water change. By the way, this is a 40 gallon tank. Any suggestions, besides just using Prime, to raise my pH level? Thanks!
    :;fb

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

You can put a mesh bag of crushed corals into your filter and that will alter your pH slowly as they disintegrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

What level was it? I wouldn't really mess with PH. Most fish get used to any ph. Well depending on what fish you have.

4. OP
    OP
    tanksalot

Thank you.

5. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Specifically about what number is your PH? To elaborate more on the crushed coral, it will gently and slowly bring up your hardness and help stabilize ph. Depending on what your GH and more importantly KH are, will determine if you really even need to do anything to help your PH. You can get the API GH/KH test kit on Amazon for under $10 and it will last you forever. If your KH is under 4, you may see PH crashes if you arent doing frequent enough water changes. If you have good KH 4 or higher along with medium to high GH you dont need to do anything to your PH.

6. OP
    OP
    tanksalot

I think it was a 5. And thank you- that is my second suggestion on getting that kit.

Thanks, tanksalot.

7. OP
    OP
    tanksalot

But also, where would I get crushed coral?

Thanks, tanksalot.

8. Dom90

Yea 5 is way too low, bacteria will start to die off at 6...

9. Dom90

Petsmart usually sells it. Geoff show the pic of your bag. Or if you don't mind. You can just use aragonite-based substrate.

10. OP
    OP
    tanksalot

Awesome- thanks sooooooo much!

Thanks, tanksalot.

11. Bluestreakfl

Whats your PH test out of the tap, both fresh from the tap, and after sitting 24 hours? Indeed that low of a PH is dangerous. As Dom90 said, bacteria starts to die off at 6 and under. Also anything under 7.0 and Ammonia actually becomes ammonium, which is far less toxic, but much harder for bacteria to digest.

12. OP
    OP
    tanksalot

Okay so I think I read the strip incorrectly. I personally don't have the strips but I had it tested at the store and the person told me it was just low and that with using Prime, it should be fine in a day or two. I think it will fine. Thanks tho guys!

Thanks, tanksalot.

13. Dom90

Strips are inaccurate, the liquid test kits are much more reliable and cheaper in the long run.

14. OP
    OP
    tanksalot

I know I know but I don't have access to one right now. I can try to order one.

Thanks, tanksalot.

15. OP
    OP
    tanksalot

I truly believe it'll be fine because I have done this before I was just wondering if you guys had any other advice. Thanks though

Thanks, tanksalot.

16. Bluestreakfl

Prime is solely a water conditioner/dechlorinator that also binds ammonia and nitrite for 24-48 hours, nothing more. It will do absolutely nothing else for your Ph, GH, and KH. you should definitely invest in a liquid kit, will give you over 800 tests and is super accurate as well as much cheaper in the long run.

17. OP
    OP
    tanksalot

Yes, yes I know. Thanks you so very much!

Thanks, tanksalot.

18. OP
    OP
    tanksalot

Truly though, I think I can handle it from here. I will definitely invest in a kit!! :;hi2 Thank you soooo much, everyone! This was very helpful!

19. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Oops, sorry I missed this.

[​IMG]

20. Dom90

Thank you, took you long enough buddy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice