PH Levels, HELP

Discussion in 'pH' started by cbowlincatfish, Dec 10, 2012.

1. cbowlincatfish

cbowlincatfish Valued Member Member

I have lost 3 fish in a week , 2 of those today so I had my daughter take and have my water tested,
    said my PH Level was dangerously low and since my tank is chemical free to use 6 teaspoons of baking soda and test water in 3 days, I have never had a PH problem before so will this work or is there something else I should do. The only chemicals I have ever used before was Prime and once I had to use ICk remover because of a new fish.

2. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

How low is low?

3. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Hi, cbowlincatfish - And welcome to FishLore!

I'd highly suggest for you to please fill out your "About Me" in your profile. Just click on "Settings" in the top right hand corner of the page. Once that page loads, then click on "Edit Profile" to the left side of that page. Fill out what information that applies to you and your fish tank(s).

That will help us assist you better in your fishes or fish tank needs. :)

4. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

I have already done this in the profile section. She didn't say how low, just told me to put the baking soda asap to prevent loss of the rest of my fish. I have 2 silver dollars that I have had since I started my tank.

5. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

6tsp baking soda on a 55gal will raise about 4-5dkh. Hopefully not much ph is raised thereby shocking the fish but it will stabilize ph. Next time don't pay much attention to ph. Monitor KH instead and keep it above 5dkh. Rapid ph change kills fish.

6. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Sorry you're having a tough time with your fish.

Its hard to give any advice on what could be going on without accurate parameters (ammonia, nitrite, ph). Imo, a good first step would be getting a reliable test kit, many members prefer this one: http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwate...r=1-1&keywords=api+freshwater+master+test+kit

It can also be purchased from petco and petsmart.

In short, mesing around with your ph when you have no means to tell what it is is asking for trouble imo. Its even unadvisable alot of the time if you did have a test kit. Fish can be very sensitive to abrupt changes in ph and can even die from it.

7. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

THe problems are that

(1) most people on this site do not trust most pet store employees to know what they are doing (and rightfully so, since many of them do not know enough and do give out misinformation), and thus if all we know is that a pet store employee said that the "pH was dangerously low" without knowing the exact number we do not trust the employee to have known what he or she was saying. Now it could be that the pH is indeed too low, or it could be that the employee does not know what she is talking about.

(2) Stores generally use test strips which are a very inaccurate way to test water - again it it still possible that the pH is too low and that even a test strip correctly identified it, but we do not know.

(3) Unless the pH is like 6 or below, even if it is not ideal pH, it is easier to kill or harm a fish by changing pH too fast than by having non-ideal pH (fish can live in a wide range of pH, but drastic changes in pH can kill fish fast.

(4) It is not easy to adjust pH gradually with baking soda unless one really knows what one is doing, and most people make the mistake of adjusting pH too fast.

My advice to you:

First buy a liquid water test kit such as the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, and follow instructions to test water yourself. That way you will not need to trust employees of pet store to know what they are doing, you will not rely on test strips which are inaccurate, and you will find out exactly how low your pH really is. Then post the result to fishlore.

If your pH is too low, it is better to gradually raise the pH with crushed coral for example. Or if you really want to use baking soda, you would want to adjust the ph of water in a bucket, and test both the tank and the bucket to make sure that the increase of ph is gradual enough, just a little bit at a time.

As someone who struggled with pH issues in my tank I greatly sympathize with you. I made several major mistakes, and adding too much baking soda to my tank was one of them. Good luck!

8. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

Thanks everyone lesson learned, ordering test kit now.

9. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

This is a good idea. In order to have a noticeable effect, you may want a moderate ph difference (with the bucket) with a little water change, and a little ph difference with a big water change.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice