pH level spiking

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jrobber, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Jrobber

Jrobber Well Known Member Member

I just tested my water for the first time in 5 days. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10. However, my high range pH test was unbelievably purple. It was so purple, it looked like it was above 8.8. It's usually around 8.2. It has never been this high and I haven't done anything to the tank since Sunday when I did about a 20% water change.

I've posted a picture of my tank; could the decorations because causing the spike? I haven't added anything new lately, though.

The lot number of the pH bottle ends in 0409. Is it old?

Should I even be worried about this?

Attached Files:

2. t

trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

Check the ph of your tap water a change in the source might be the cause if you haven't added anything new to the tank. If the tap ph is normal it could be your chemicals.

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

are you still treating ich?

4. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

I haven't used the meds for ICK in a week. Tap water is usually at 7.5, but I did not check it last night. I will check it later today after I get off of work. The only chemicals that would have been added to the tank would have been Tetra AquaSafe to remove chlorine.

Edit: No worries, pH level is still the same. Went to the LFS that sold me the kit and they tested the water and it came back 8.2, like usual. Unfortunately, my 1 month old test kit is already out of date. Ugh.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  5. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

If your test kit is API it is not out of date. The date is the production date and then the test is good for three years.
    To answer your first question I have a fake rock looking decoration in one of my tanks and the pH is rising. Someone else told me they had one just like mine and it raised their pH. I haven't moved mine yet. They told me to take this decoration out and put it into a bucket with an air stone. Test the water over the period of a few days and you will know if it is raising your pH.

6. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Hey there fellow Hoosier, actually I just meant my high range pH test was out of date. I didn't mean the entire kit. It sucks though because it just bought the kit about a month ago.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

The tests should be good for up to 3 years (as flynlowe stated) from the date stamped on the bottle. (personally I like new kits every year).

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice