PH level issues

FishyLove1

Hello I am new here and I am searching for the answer to my solution maybe y'all can please help me out......
So recently moved up in tank size after 3 years of having a 30 gallon tank with the friendly type fish.... So now I'm using my 55 gallon and it's been set up since last December, of course I did try a large community tank but this Firemouth Chichild and Green Severum and tiger barbs.
But I cannot seem to get the pH right...
So how do I raise my pH with out hurting my fish family thank you!!!

kansas

why do you want to?

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

What is your current Ph and what do you want it to be?

Upvote 0

FishyLove1

I recently switched back to tap water changes due to RO water destroyed my tank almost..... basically almost crashed my cycle but I was using it weekly and and pH level is kind of fluctuating from 6.0-6.8 .....is there anything I can do ? I also have a firemouth Chichild and a severum and the aggressive fish are so new to me...... One week it's 6.4 then it will be 6.8....... I am doing weekly water change all my parameters today a mid week test for this was 6.4 pH 0/0/20ppms on the master kit thanks for your help I just need to get the ph stable and then get the hardness water test and I will go from there but for now I need a way for it to stop swinging as I introduce my tap water changes back into the tank thank you in advance for any advice on this one I have never dealt with this in 4 years of fish keeping....

**Mod note:
This post was moved from another thread so it might seem off kilter

Upvote 0

FishyLove1

why do you want to?
Ok I forgot to mention it swings I used RO water for 3 months and I was unaware of those consequences so now I have reintroduced my tap water it will be 6.0-6.8 maybe 7.0 so basically just get it stable and raise it slowly.... I have tried crushed coral rock I even have a piece in the tank...it never test the same basically
What is your current Ph and what do you want it to be?
The RO water hurt my tank using my tap now it's at 7.6 I know that I have changed out at least 90 gallon of water in changes put it's not staying stable so when I get stable the 7.6 that my tap is would be fine since I am dealing with the firemouth and severum that requires a pH of 7.8-8.0 I believe but a stable pH at 7.6 would be great

Upvote 0

StarGirl

How much crushed coral did you add? There are stones like Texas holey rock that will raise your pH for your cichlids. When you used the RO water did you add back in minerals?

Upvote 0

FishyLove1

How much crushed coral did you add? There are stones like Texas holey rock that will raise your pH for your cichlids. When you used the RO water did you add back in minerals?
I did add minerals because my LFS never mentioned anything about it as they sold me the water I have a good size rock of coral approx 3/4 a lb of the rock I broke off a chunk crushed it the best I could and placed in my media bag and a Ziploc bag so it would all stay dust and all and I put in my hang on back filter and it made a little bit of a cloud I recently squeezed my sponge filter as well to remove any remaining RO ........ I hope it helped me I tried the pH up 1 time I am just scared I could cause problems so I did use it last water change and it did nothing and I was just trying to stabilize it at the moment I know that in time it will slowly raise if I can get stable I have considered pH up level sand but scared it would hurt my fish how can I add sand with fish in there?? Just feels like I am just losing the battle you know....
I did add minerals because my LFS never mentioned anything about it as they sold me the water I have a good size rock of coral approx 3/4 a lb of the rock I broke off a chunk crushed it the best I could and placed in my media bag and a Ziploc bag so it would all stay dust and all and I put in my hang on back filter and it made a little bit of a cloud I recently squeezed my sponge filter as well to remove any remaining RO ........ I hope it helped me I tried the pH up 1 time I am just scared I could cause problems so I did use it last water change and it did nothing and I was just trying to stabilize it at the moment I know that in time it will slowly raise if I can get stable I have considered pH up level sand but scared it would hurt my fish how can I add sand with fish in there?? Just feels like I am just losing the battle you know....
(Edit) I did Not add minerals LFS didn't say anything about it I didn't know that

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

I don't think Firemouths and severums need really high Ph like the cichlid sand gives. Maybe the best idea is to pull the fish out and bag them, empty 75% of the tank and refill with tap water. Then float and reacclimate the fish to the new water. It would be similar to when you bought a fish at the store and brought it home to a new tank with different parameters. The Ph would then be stable and doing your normal water changes would then be the same or very slowly raise the Ph by a tiny amount. Does anyone else think this is a bad or good idea?

Upvote 0

FishyLove1

I don't think Firemouths and severums need really high Ph like the cichlid sand gives. Maybe the best idea is to pull the fish out and bag them, empty 75% of the tank and refill with tap water. Then float and reacclimate the fish to the new water. It would be similar to when you bought a fish at the store and brought it home to a new tank with different parameters. The Ph would then be stable and doing your normal water changes would then be the same or very slowly raise the Ph by a tiny amount. Does anyone else think this is a bad or good idea?
I think it's a excellent idea to just get Evey bit of the RO water out and just refill it and it cannot hurt to try I knew I saved my fish bags and rubber bands for a reason just wasn't sure until now lol thank you so much for this I have enough chemicals and things ammonia reducing filer media thank you so much this may just work

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Sanderguy777
  • pH
Replies
Views
carsonsgjs
  • CJLand
  • pH
Replies
Views
mattgirl