pH level and water changes Help

Discussion in 'pH' started by Jrobber, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Jrobber

Jrobber Well Known Member Member

The pH level in my tank is 8.2 but my tap water is 7.6. When I do water changes should I add something to raise the pH level in the tap water before putting it on my tank?

Also any tips on safely lowering my pH levels in my tank?

2. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

small.. VERY small water changes say one cup out, one cup in like every 20-30 minutes.

like acclimation,a little out-a little in-wait- a little out and in.. etc
    hope it turns out well.

3. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

For every water change or just to lower the pH level?

4. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

after you get your PH down to your tap, you won't have to do it cup by cup ;)

more often water changes will keep the PH stable

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

The tank water may not come down to ph 7.6 at all. Sometimes tap water has high levels of co2 present & that co2 lowers the PH levels. Smaller, more frequent water changes are the way to go. For example, instead of doing a 30% water change once a week, you could do 3 x 10% water changes each week instead. So long as the water change doesn't cause the PH in the tank to shift by more than 0.2, you shouldn't have a problem. If the tanks PH does come down over time to match the tap water then you could go back to larger once weekly water changes.

6. OP
    OP
    Jrobber

Good deal. Thanks for the tips everyone.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice