Ph Keeps Increasing

Discussion in 'pH' started by Dylannc001, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Dylannc001

Dylannc001New MemberMember

Hi, Iv been having issues with ph rising in my aquariums. Most of my aquariums sit at 6.8-7 only after using fluval stratum as the substrate. Recently I have set up a breeding tank which is in the process of cycling. As it is a breeding tank it is a bare bottom and I don’t have the fluval stratum to bring the ph to level that I want.

I have tested my tap water and let it sit for 6-8 hours before testing to see if it changes, and I got the same results. Water from my bathroom sink comes out at 6.8 and water from my bathtub comes out at 6.6, which is kinda weird?

Now when I water change my aquariums and add conditioned tap water, over night the ph in any tank without fluval stratum will rise to 7.4-7.6. Sometimes higher if I leave it long enough.

I thought maybe it was the addition of aquarium salt causing the ph to rise, but I haven’t put any in the breeding tank and the ph still rose to 7.6.

I’m at a loss and just can’t seem to figure out why I keep having this issue. At the moment the breeding tank has no rocks or salt, just an Anubis plant, java fern and some moss balls. Along with a heater and a sponge filter. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe my water conditioner is increasing the ph? I use Nutrafin Plus.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Fluval Stratum's own description:

"Fluval Stratum's inherent properties will help support a neutral to slightly acidic pH"