Ph Increasing? Question

Discussion in 'pH' started by Marinus, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Marinus

MarinusValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Alright, I have a question that I would like to ask the collective mind, the pH in my aquarium appears to be going up ever so slightly which I find especially odd because I have a decent amount of driftwood in the aquarium and you can see some mild tannin coloration in the water. Planted tank with eco-complete as the substrate.

Using the API master kit my readings have been consistently giving 0pmm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite, and 5ppm Nitrate. pH was hovering around 7.8 - 8.0 but today appeared closer to 8.0 - 8.2
    Any idea why pH might be going up? Also, should I have any concern with my pH hovering around that level? Tapwater pH is 7.8 the filtered water system that we have in place for the house gives me a pH of 6.6. I'd rather not use the filtered water for water changes because it comes out rather slow and the filtered water tank only has so much carrying capacity (read: not that much it's really only for drinking so it doesn't account for large volumes being needed). As such it would be a bit of a pain to try and get enough of this water to keep around for water changes. I should note that in the past all my fish have done fine with the tap water pH for water changes with the addition of dechlor (Prime).

Should I consider adding more driftwood? Almond leaves? Bag some peat up and shove that in the filter area? Or, take the if it's not broke don't fix it, approach? Any help is appreciated, thanks everyone!

2. Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +201
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    What substrate/ decor have you?. If you have calcerious material like limestone , crushed coral, coral sand or some shells this could cause the pH to rise. If unsure test a sample with an acid ( vinegar will do if you don't have anything stronger ) . If you see any reaction then it is probably unsuitable.

3. OP
    OP
    Marinus

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Substrate is Eco-complete alone and I don't have any other decor except for the driftwood and live plants, which is why I'm quite confused as to why I might be having an increase in pH.

4. Heron

HeronValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +201
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I can't say what's wrong but your tap water pH is quite high why not reduce it a bit with mixing some filtered water with some tap water next time you water change?.

5. Brizburk

BrizburkWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +437
    Experience:
    5 years
    I have the same problem with eco complete. I'm planning on removing that substrate this weekend as it's crucial I keep my pH below 5 for my acid loving fish. My eco complete tank keeps climbing in pH even tho I adjust the water down, it raises. Nothing else would seem to be causing the swing.

6. JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Fluctuating pH is sometimes from tap water off-gassing (which can lower or raise pH up to 48 hours after it sits out), substrate/rocks affecting parameters, etc.

You could run three water tests to try to identify the culprit:
    1. Test #1: Fresh from the tap.
    2. Test #2: Tap water that was left in a cup on the counter for 24 hours.
    3. Test #3: Tap water in a cup filled with substrate/rocks that was left on the counter for 24 hours.
    If you get different results between #1 and #2/#3 you'll have an idea of what might be causing it, at least in part.

7. Brizburk

BrizburkWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +437
    Experience:
    5 years
    That's not a bad idea and I'll try it. For me however it's just the one tank that has eco complete, the other two tanks don't have pH a flux...

8. OP
    OP
    Marinus

Ratings:
    +65
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I might have to go ahead and do that little experiment. I know the pH straight from the tap but haven't tried the other two tests.

I did a little digging regarding pH and eco-complete, it looks like at one point it was an issue due to some contamination but that was a few years back. Others have said it temporarily increased their tanks pH but then it went down after a couple water changes. I might have to see if that's the case because I've used the eco-complete in my tanks before without any issues and half of the eco-complete actually came from a tank that I tore down. Hmmm...

9. JenC

JenCWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,063
    I'm interested to see what the tests show. I've read mixed things about Eco-Complete and pH. I definitely see people claiming it raises pH in the beginning but might stop after a while. I think the company claims it has no effect on pH?

There are other things that can affect pH but off-gassing and substrate are so often the reasons - it's easy to test for them first and then delve into other possibilities if the tests don't provide clarity.