Ph Increase

Discussion in 'pH' started by Kingofnon, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Kingofnon

Kingofnon Valued Member Member

So my chart of green numbers is now green amd red numbers (green good red bad)

Well today.....for no reason (i literally did nothing.) My ph took a dive from 7.6 to 7.2

Any ideas?

2. CraniumRex

CraniumRex Well Known Member Member

I'll take a stab at it.

Depending on your KH or carbonate hardness, water has the ability to buffer the pH. The more KH, typically the more stable your pH.

Do you know your KH and GH?

There are other things that can influence the pH of the water but let's start there.

3. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

Injecting CO2 will lower it also..

4. OP
    OP
    Kingofnon

Co2 has been turned off for 3 days. Within 24 hours it went back to its normal 7.6 after co2 dropped it to 6.6. Its been at 7.6 for all those 3 days until now

KH 5dkh
    GH is 11dgh

5. TexasGuppy

Is this with a pH alert monitor? Or are you measuring with a kit? Did you measure morning or night? Although I don't think the natural swing from night to day is that large? Maybe the plants finally stopped consuming ferts without CO2 and changed some acid levels?

6. OP
    OP
    Kingofnon

7. TexasGuppy

"AFAIK, the idea of a pH crash was around long before we started adding CO2 to the water. In that case, I belive what happened was either the plants consumed all the carbonates, thus removing the buffer and allowing naturally produced acids from decomp and fish waste to lower the pH to dangerous levels, or... lack of water changes caused organic acids and natural biological process to slowly remove carbonates, thus removing the buffer and allowing pH to get very low."

Although kh of 5 I thought was OK. Lack of WC % perhaps combined with prior CO2 use..

8. OP
    OP
    Kingofnon

So tgos should/will be my new ph or should i expect it to fluctute and if so is it dangerous?

9. TexasGuppy

7.6 to 7.2 isn't much of a change. But I would do a 50% WC and check/monitor it. If you are going to use CO2, you should try to be consistent... Algae can be caused by swinging co2. Get on a fert regime and stick to it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice