Ph in 70L tropical tank

Dantheman15

To be able to do a fish in cycle my ph needs to measure 8..... eveything else is fine
So i tested my ph last night at it was perfect but then i tested this morning my ph has dropped to about 6
Does anyone know why my ph keeps dropping then going back up?

Attachments

• 20210716_174340.jpg
    20210716_174340.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 16

Ghelfaire

What's the ph of your tap water? What kind of decorations do you have in there? Any specific types of rocks or driftwood?

Upvote 0

MacZ

The pH doesn't have to be 8 for a fish-in cycle.

Are all measuring errors ruled out? How was the pH tested?

Other info needed to get this cleared up:
- volume of the tank?
- substrate / decorations / plants? (best if you post a picture.)
- stocking?
- KH-level?
- CO2-injection?

Upvote 0

Dantheman15

What's the ph of your tap water? What kind of decorations do you have in there? Any specific types of rocks or driftwood?
Tap water measures 7 - 7.2
The pH doesn't have to be 8 for a fish-in cycle.

Are all measuring errors ruled out? How was the pH tested?

Other info needed to get this cleared up:
- volume of the tank?
- substrate / decorations / plants? (best if you post a picture.)
- stocking?
- KH-level?
- CO2-injection?
Ive added a picture of my tank to my thread

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Ph does not have to be 8 to do a fish-in cycle. It should just be over 7 to keep it from stalling. With a fish in cycle you will be changing water regularly as the ammonia and nitrites start to rise and since your tap water is over 7 you should be fine...unless you are using RO water or a source that has low GH/KH or Co2.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Allright, we can rule out soil substrate, we can rule out CO2, we can rule out any humic acids.
With that massive amount of bubbles from the airstone the pH should be rather higher, as this drives out a lot of the naturally solved CO2.

Leaves the KH level to be checked and mistakes in the pH test ruled out.

unless you are using RO water

I doubt it.

Upvote 0

Dantheman15

Allright, we can rule out soil substrate, we can rule out CO2, we can rule out any humic acids.
With that massive amount of bubbles from the airstone the pH should be rather higher, as this drives out a lot of the naturally solved CO2.

Leaves the KH level to be checked and mistakes in the pH test ruled out.

I doubt it.
Okay whats the best result for kh testing?

Upvote 0

MacZ

Best for what? You test the KH and the result is a result and open to interpretation.

Upvote 0

RayClem

What are you using to cycle your tank?

Ammonia is alkaline, so it should raise your pH.

Ammonium chloride is acidic. Thus, if you are using Dr Tim's Ammonium Chloride for fishless cycles, it could be dropping the pH.

To raise pH, you can add sodium carbonate (washing soda), sodium bicarbonate (bakling soda), or crushed coral which is the mineral aragonite which is composed primarily of calcium and magnesium carbonate. Washing soda raises pH quickly, so it has to be used with care. Baking soda will raise pH slowly and is good for maintaining KH. Crushed coral dissolves slowly, so it is often recommended to stabalize pH and KH, but it will also raise GH as it contains calcium and magnesium.

You told us that your tap water has a pH close to 7.0 which is suitable for many types of tropical fish. Some fish like some livebearers and African cichlids like higher pH levels. You do not need to raise the pH to 8 for either a fish-in or fishless cycle, but keeping it above 7.0 is helpful.

You need to check the GH and KH of your tap water as well as your tank. The test kits are not expensive. Once you know the GH and KH of your water, you can determine how to adjust the parameters the levels you want. Without test results, there is no way we can provide good advice..

There is a relationship between pH, KH and dissolved CO2. If you do not plan to inject CO2 into your tank, then pH and KH will be soomewhat related. That is why MacZ indicated there is no ideal KH value. You want the KH value to be high enough to keep the pH stable. Since your pH is dropping, your KH is too low.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Ray, the OP is doing a fish-IN-cycle.

Upvote 0

FishDin

The pH of planted tanks will drop at night and rise again in the light. I don't know if you have enough plants to cause the change your seeing. Just for kicks, measure the pH in the morning before the lights come on, then again every 4-5 hours with the last time at lights out. In theory, the pH should rise during the day and drop overnight.

What are you using to raise the pH? Stop using it and just use your tap water at the pH that it comes with. Like others have said, it's fine for cycling, and for most fish. It's also easier to maintain because you won't be constantly chasing the pH. Your fish will appreciate the stable pH too.

What fish are you going to keep in this tank?

What is your KH?

Upvote 0

Dantheman15

The pH of planted tanks will drop at night and rise again in the light. I don't know if you have enough plants to cause the change your seeing. Just for kicks, measure the pH in the morning before the lights come on, then again every 4-5 hours with the last time at lights out. In theory, the pH should rise during the day and drop overnight.

What are you using to raise the pH? Stop using it and just use your tap water at the pH that it comes with. Like others have said, it's fine for cycling, and for most fish. It's also easier to maintain because you won't be constantly chasing the pH. Your fish will appreciate the stable pH too.

What fish are you going to keep in this tank?

What is your KH?
This is the result after i dosed the tank with ammonia on 17/07/21 so i think my tank is cycled just need to do a water change

Attachments

• 20210720_180713.jpg
    20210720_180713.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

FishDin

You dosed on 17th and tested on the 21st?. Those are the results you want in 24 hours. If you get those results in 24 hours after dosing, not 4 days, then I would agree that you are cycled.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

To be able to do a fish in cycle my ph needs to measure 8..... eveything else is fine
So i tested my ph last night at it was perfect but then i tested this morning my ph has dropped to about 6
Does anyone know why my ph keeps dropping then going back up?
This is the result after i dosed the tank with ammonia on 17/07/21 so i think my tank is cycled just need to do a water change
Your original post mentions a fish in cycle. The post above mentions adding ammonia. My question is. Do you have fish in this tank? If you do and have gone through the nitrite spike then this tank is cycled. If you don't have fish in there and have been adding ammonia, again I have to think if you have gone through the nitrite spike then the tank is cycled.

If this is a fishless cycle you can know for sure by adding your normal dose of ammonia. Run the tests 24 hours later. If all the ammonia is gone and you are still seeing zero nitrites then you can be confident that the cycle is done but only if you have gone through the nitrite spike. I feel sure you have since you are seeing nitrates unless you have them in your tap water.

In most cases a stable pH is better than a specific number. Most fish avalable in this hobby can thrive in a wide range of pH levels but it needs to be a stable number. It will drop overnight so the number will be different first thing in the morning than it will be in the afternoon. What you are seeing may be perfectly normal. Try to run the pH test at the same time each day to determine if your pH is stable.

Upvote 0

Dantheman15

You dosed on 17th and tested on the 21st?. Those are the results you want in 24 hours. If you get those results in 24 hours after dosing, not 4 days, then I would agree that you are cycled.
Yeah i thinks cycled but how long dose it stayed cycled for till i get fish?
Your original post mentions a fish in cycle. The post above mentions adding ammonia. My question is. Do you have fish in this tank? If you do and have gone through the nitrite spike then this tank is cycled. If you don't have fish in there and have been adding ammonia, again I have to think if you have gone through the nitrite spike then the tank is cycled.

If this is a fishless cycle you can know for sure by adding your normal dose of ammonia. Run the tests 24 hours later. If all the ammonia is gone and you are still seeing zero nitrites then you can be confident that the cycle is done but only if you have gone through the nitrite spike. I feel sure you have since you are seeing nitrates unless you have them in your tap water.

In most cases a stable pH is better than a specific number. Most fish avalable in this hobby can thrive in a wide range of pH levels but it needs to be a stable number. It will drop overnight so the number will be different first thing in the morning than it will be in the afternoon. What you are seeing may be perfectly normal. Try to run the pH test at the same time each day to determine if your pH is stable.
No i havnt got fish yet but like i said i dosed it on the 17th test it again last night and it test fine so im sure its cycled but wanna know how long it stays cycled?

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Yeah i thinks cycled but how long dose it stayed cycled for till i get fish?

No i havnt got fish yet but like i said i dosed it on the 17th test it again last night and it test fine so im sure its cycled but wanna know how long it stays cycled?
If it is going to be a while before you get fish like several weeks then just continue adding your normal amount of ammonia at least every other day up until the day before you get fish.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Jo7984
  • pH
Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Mollyguppymammas
  • pH
Replies
Views