Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Ph High Issue Help

Discussion in 'pH' started by Nickguy5467, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

i should test ph more often, im adding an image below, i just ttested my water today everything is fine, but ph is at 8.8. i have no idea what is raising it. i think it might be the rocks. one of my cory just died so i decided to do a water change but then though i should test my water first to see what was up. which of these things in the pic do you think is raising my ph? and the drifftwood im just going to take out the moss, it has lost its battle with algae.

IMG_20190422_154537.jpg those are 2 real rocks on the side. the one in the middle is fake. also could the ph level be why my fish are dying?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  2. KiksWell Known MemberMember

Is it your tap water that's at 8.8 or the water in your tank? Have you tested both? And have you tested the water from the tap again after it's been sitting out for 24 hours?

3. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

my tap water is not 8.8. itts my tank water. because it twas in tthe low 8s but now the ttest runs purple 8.4-8.8

waitt what? tap water can change its ph after being outt for a bit?

although i was trying to get itt back down in the 7s but i wasnt quitte sure how

4. KiksWell Known MemberMember

Yes, the pH changes when the water aerates. Mostly when people are confused as to why their tap water pH is something and their tank water pH is something different, it's cause the water in their tank has aerated from being out of the tap for more than 24 hours.
    If I were you I'd test it all: tank pH, tap pH and tap that's been sitting out just to get an idea of how far off the water in your tank is.

5. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

well honestly ive keep a buckett of cleaned watter out for top offs. so maybe thats nott a good idea to do from now on. i did a 55% water change and changed my decor inside. so we'll see how it tturns out. unless anaheim has changed thte ph of the tap recently it should still be round 7.4 . ill check again though

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  6. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

clearly i dont know how to put a proper tank together. but i took out one of the rocks and the driftwood with sickly moss on it and put that fake wood thing in as it provides more covor than other things i had. the ph stopped being purple , according to the HPH test its now somewhere between 7.4-80 but the regular test says 7.6. so that is confusing,, anyway i was thinking on buying to fake plants to buy and put in that open space in the front and some 20" tall plants in the back

IMG_20190422_224026.jpg

7. JenCWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't say that you don't know how to put a tank together. There are many factors involved in keeping a tank stable. You just need to figure out this one moving piece.

Tap water can off-gas (and change pH) up to 48 hours later - lowering or raising it. This sometimes explains the discrepancy between tap and tank pH. The easiest way to test how source water off-gasses is to test tap water now, then leave a cup of it on the counter to test 24-48 hours later. Note that source water behavior can change so it's good to retest it now and then.

For reference, my tap water is 8.4 out of the tap but settles to 7.5 within 24 hours, so my tanks all stay at 7.5.

If you want to confirm or exclude the rock as a pH-altering element you can put it in old tank water, test the water's pH, let it sit for two days, and test the pH again. But unless it's a massive rock I doubt it caused the tank's fluctuation. Also, driftwood would probably lower - not raise - the pH, so it's probably not the culprit.

8. Nickguy5467Well Known MemberMember

would be nice to lower mine to 7.5 , i guess using a python strait from tap doesnt give me that option. i wonder if im reading tests wrong. especially with the high ph test , the shades of brown are hard to tell for me, do you press the vial agaist a white area or just look at it with a white in the background? being as the shades change depending on how you look at it. if i press it to the white board , i get 7.8-8 from my tap and an 8.2 from my aquarium or other farther away it could be anything i cant really tell it looks very clear i can see through it well and i guess the tap looks a bit like 7.4 at that distance and the aquarium i cant even tell, i just looks like a darker version of tap but it doesnt match anything on the card

edit: thanks for fixing that.... aand i would like to lower my ph , but is it not possible if the water you use is high? for example can you not achieve a 7.5 if your source water is 8.0

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019