Ph help with water changes

Shelbylou93

My tap water reads a Ph of 7. After filling my tank and starting the cycle it reads 7.6 to 8. Can I use my tap water for water changes? Should I do anything to raise the taps ph before adding it to the tank? Should I use spring water instead?

Rcslade124

Is the tank fully cycled? If not ph will jump until it settles at a stable pH. If you fill with the tap water then you can change with two water. Water companies will alter pH coming from the tap. Take some tap water leave it out for 24hrs and test.

Upvote 0

Shelbylou93

Thanks! I will try that. My cycle is still going at the moment and not finished. It was just something that happened to cross my mind and I figured I needed answers now rather than later.

Upvote 0

Rcslade124

My tank cycled as low as 6.6 and once the cycle completely finished it sits close to 7. But if the water is the same then it won't hurt when doing water change. Also while cycling we do much less water changes so we don't get a good idea on where it will settle. After you cycle and do a 75% change then do regular changes then you will settle.

Upvote 0

Shelbylou93

Ok thank you!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
Replies
Views
DuaneV
  • Crystal Helix