pH/Hardness for Oscars?

Discussion in 'pH' started by Crelus26, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Crelus26

Crelus26 New Member Member

My father and I are planning on getting a 55 gallon tank in which we will have a single Oscar. Our tap water here in Florida is very hard, does anyone know effective ways to lower it? (Also, nothing is final in this case. We haven't purchased the tank or fish yet.)

2. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

did you know that Oscars grow to be 18in long and that a 55 should not be they're permanent home

3. OP
    OP
    Crelus26

Indeed. Either way, a 55 gallon should be sufficient for a couple years. By that time, we should have a bigger one.

4. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

ok at least you know how big they get. I just heard today when properly fed they may grow an inch a month. in a year you may have foot long fish in a 55 gal tank

5. OP
    OP
    Crelus26

I'm perfectly aware of that. If anything, I've read from a couple of sources that 55 is the minimum amount for 1 oscar, with 75 being the perfect size.

6. R

Rch727 Valued Member Member

I had the same problem. But don't be selfish, and the whole I'll get a bigger tank isn't the best idea. An oscar in a 55 gallon would require large water changes weekly. There is many other cichlids that will work great in a 55 gallon. IMO blood parrots are awesome. Hope you take this into consideration

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice