Ph, Gh, And Kh Of Mystery Snail Tank? Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by jabear1001, Jun 24, 2018.

1. j

jabear1001 New Member Member

What would appropriate pH, gH, and ppm levels be for a for a tank containing mystery snails? This is my first tank containing only mystery snails and I wasn't sure if certain levels could be harmful to the snails. Also, would a sponge filter or electric filter be better for them?

2. Franco

Franco Valued Member Member

Out of curiosity, how many mystery snails are you keeping?

I know snails tend to like harder water (higher GH) to ensure there is enough calcium to maintain their shell integrity. I'm sure others will be able to provide more exact numbers for you.

Also... welcome to Fishlore!!

3. OP
    OP
    j

Thank you! I plan on keeping around 10 snails in a 10 gallon breeder tank. As time goes on, I will get a larger aquarium to better improve the lives of my snails. I'll be sure to use the ground up egg shell technique for calcium. Thanks again!

4. Franco

Franco Valued Member Member

Nice! A 10 gallon should be more than enough space for those snails! I'm sure they will thrive. I keep a Zebra Nerite in my 10 gallon to help keep things tidy when it comes to algae. It's always fun trying to find it in the tank though... I swear it only moves when I stop looking at it haha!

5. Goldie&Yami

Goldie&Yami Valued Member Member

Mystery Snails need about 2 to 2 and half gallons of water PER snail. They are heavy heavy bioloaders. You will have a tough time keeping your tank clean and your water parameters correct with that many in a 10 gallon. I would suggest a HOB filter with lots of GPH. I would say at least 100 GPH if not higher. Snails thrive well in higher ph. 7.5+
    And calcium in anything bigger than a 5 gallon dosing with calcium powder is ALOT more effective than cuttlebone or egg shell. In my past experiences.

6. OP
    OP
    j

Thanks for the information! I'll be sure to keep it in mind while building the tank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice