Ph For Nerite Snail? Question

Discussion in 'pH' started by TheBettaSushi, Apr 18, 2019.

1. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

A thought just came to mind and I’d like to know if I’m doing things right in my tank.

I recently acclimated a nerite snail in my betta tank and heard that cuttlebone is a good source of calcium for the snail so I cut one in half and dropped it in my tank.

So far, the snail hasn’t noticed it yet but it’s only been 3 days.

My ph has been at a steady 7.6

My questions are:

1.) will the cuttlebone raise my ph?

2.) is my ph good enough for the snail? If yes, then 3.) do I even need cuttlebone? Or will my ph suffice?

Thanks in advance.

2. MorosithValued MemberMember

7.6 is a great ph for nerites. They would still thrive with the ph going a little bit higher but you don't have any need to raise it if you don't want to.

That said I've never had cuttlebone change ph in any of my setups.

3. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Awesome thanks. I don’t want my ph to rise. If anything, going down a tad bit is ok (or was since the betta came first but he’s perfectly fine with it). I added 4 semi thick pieces of spiderwood and it has been in the tank for the past month or two but my ph has remained the same.

Something I didn’t think about until now...

I have low GH ranging from 4-5 and KH ranging from 2-3 (lowest is when its almost time for a weekly 30% water change to bring it back up). This concerns me regarding the parameters for the snail. If he’s fine with the ph, low GH/KH plus a cuttlebone then I shouldn’t worry or think about it, right?

4. MorosithValued MemberMember

Hmm. Those are some pretty low numbers. I think that with the cuttlebone and your PH being what it is, it should be okay though. Your PH is nowhere close to a number where I'd be concerned about rapid shell decay or anything. Watch your nerite closely, but I think you're in okay shape.

5. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Yes they are but my ph has remained stable so I guess my KH buffers around 2. Unfortunately, there’s nothing I can do to raise the KH without raising the ph. Not sure what I can do about the GH though. I don’t want to add additives since my water parameters are fine otherwise. My betta seems happy, and my plants are growing. Better to keep things stable than to try to fix something that isn’t broken.