Ph For Breeding Neon Tetras

N7QL

Reaction score
I have read that neons could be bred in hard water but I have also read they need very low pH water to be bred. It would stand to reason that if they are kept in hard water (same supply as we have in this part of town) and are thriving in it then they likely were bred in hard water. I just want to know because if they really need soft water for breeding and for longevity then I need to gradually bring it down. Any advice is appreciated.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Temperature is wrong, Neons breed best at about 74 F. (The SF and Fishbase data are taken from the Baensch atlases, which is also based on erroneous data.) Commercially produced Neons are probably bred at warmer temperatures, which makes them weak. Many soft water fish can adapt and live in hard water, but they will not produce young. The eggs will not be hatch unless the hardness and pH are low enough.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Of course. Surprised I missed that.

Do SF and FB use info from Baensch for a lot of fish? I have those atlases and there’s quite a few inaccuracies in them. Surprising that Fishbase uses them.
Unfortunately, they do use it quite a bit for data that would be used for aquarium maintenance. Temperature data from the wild is very spotty in scientific literature, so quite often they list the preferences that are given in Baensch.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And here’s me thinking that everything FB says has been scientifically observed in the field...

N7QL

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I wondered since some forum messages I read stated these guys were commercially bred in hard water. I don't think it was in this forum but I found these other messages on google. I have hard water here but I could gradually soften it over time. I want them to live a long time if I get them. Thank you all. I also wondered where fish base got their info from. Guess I can't expect them to be accurate lol.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't get me wrong, Fishbase is great for ID and classification, type locations, max size of WILD COLLECTED specimens. and they have information on the Red list status of species. This is the type of information that you get from scientific descriptions and collections data. Water chemistry is just not included in this very often.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom