PH fluctuations too much?

loveagoodleaf

I just set up my new 12 gallon for my betta, I used the Oliver Knott AquaEarth - everything seems fine so far except that it dropped the pH significantly, to about 6.4. The tank my betta is currently in (which doesn't use this substrate and is cycled) has a pH of 7.4, and so does my tap water. I might be jumping the gun here but I'm worried that if I do a water change with the new tank it's going to cause the pH to fluctuate too much, and could stress/kill my betta once she's in there. I'm also worried that the tank won't cycle at a pH this low, but all the articles I've seen online give conflicting information. Any help would be appreciated!

Roman96

I wouldn't change too much water at a time, doing at the most 50%. This will keep the pH from fluctuating too much. Any pH above 6.0 should allow the nitrifying bacteria to function.

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore :)

I don't know if this will work but it might be worth a try. Add crushed coral to see if it will somewhat counteract the pH lowering affect of the soil. It may help keep it closer to your tap water and the water in the tank your little girl is in right now. It shouldn't hurt anything to at least try it. Frequent water changes with higher pH tap water should help too while the tank is cycling.

If we can get and keep the pH in the tank up to at least 7 small water changes with 7.4 tap water shouldn't cause a problem for your little girl.

If the tank your little girl is in right now is cycled and you are just upgrading her home to a bigger one you can move the cycle from the smaller tank to the bigger one once we get the pH stabilized.

loveagoodleaf

Thank you both for your helpful responses, I appreciate it! I did an experiment and just did a 30% water change, the pH only went up to 6.6. Is this too much? I will have to see if I can order crushed coral online, as we are in lockdown and I can't get any at my LFS at the moment.
Should be no issue to just move her filter media over so sounds good, I'll do that.

LowConductivity

Thank you both for your helpful responses, I appreciate it! I did an experiment and just did a 30% water change, the pH only went up to 6.6. Is this too much? I will have to see if I can order crushed coral online, as we are in lockdown and I can't get any at my LFS at the moment.
Should be no issue to just move her filter media over so sounds good, I'll do that.
All things being equal (hardness/tds), most fish that don't come from Rift Lakes are totally fine with a pH swing of 1.0-2.0 IME

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
colbywebre47
Replies
Views
Jennie2021
  • fishlover1990
  • pH
Replies
Views
RayClem