Nellie75

Valued Member
Reaction score

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
From what I've read, a ph drop from CO2 isn't anything to worry about, because it isn't a drop from a decrease in water hardness. Stable KH and GH are more important. Using baking soda is too sudden of a change.

Are you using a drop checker?

Nellie75

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well I only dosed baking soda for the amount of 10 gallons.

I'm using the API liquid test kit, so I shouldn't worry about the PH drop? Seeing the PH go from a light blue to light yellow scared me.

I just googled what a drop checker is...no I do not have a drop checker, I have a bubble counter that's outside the tank.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just googled what a drop checker is...no I do not have a drop checker, I have a bubble counter that's outside the tank.
Bubble counters don't tell you how much CO2 is in the tank, it just tells you how many bubbles you're injecting. The CO2 levels depend on the type of diffuser, surface agitation, tank size, plant uptake, etc

I suggest you get a drop checker. You don't want to inject too much and gas your fish. A drop from 7.6 to 6 or lower does seem a bit much.

PilotWhale

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So, I added CO2 and I killed 9 fish. pH dropped 1.2, from 8.0 to 6.8. I'd be careful. Do it slowly, not like how I did it.

Dcchillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm getting ready to start injecting co2 on my 20g next week. Howuch pH drop should I expect? I haven't really been able to find any info on this and I want to make the transition as least stressful for me and my fish.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm getting ready to start injecting co2 on my 20g next week. Howuch pH drop should I expect? I haven't really been able to find any info on this and I want to make the transition as least stressful for me and my fish.
Depends on your KH and other buffers in the water, but I think a drop of 1 is typical. It's not really stressful for fish because the ph drop isn't a result from a change in osmotic pressure.

Dcchillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok, thanks mak. Any advice on some further reading on this topic?

I know my kh is 5/6. I mix my own from ro so it can be adjusted if need be. I'm setting everything up later this week so I'd like to get prepared.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, thanks mak. Any advice on some further reading on this topic?

I know my kh is 5/6. I mix my own from ro so it can be adjusted if need be. I'm setting everything up later this week so I'd like to get prepared.
You might know all this already, but here are some good solid basics:
CO2: Striking the balance

Tom Barr's website might have more on CO2 in planted tanks.

Dcchillin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks bud!

If I'm reading that chart right, my current water parameters of 5kh/7.6ph means only about 3.7mg/l of co2 in my water? Or is this chart not applicable to liquid co2?

If it is it might explain my miserable results so far.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Liquid CO2 isn't really CO2 at all, so CO2 charts, drop checkers, etc don't apply.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So for clarity, it's chemicals that some plants will break down for CO2, but not free CO2 for the test kits.
I'm not sure what exactly it does, but even if it does release CO2 (which I don't think it does) it's not enough to register on a test.

ashenwelt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom