Ph Drop At 6.4

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
kashbill said:
my 10 gallon tank still in fishless cycle already 10days and this morning reading ammonia-0.25ppm,nitrite-0ppm,nitrate-40ppm. Yesterday 0.5ppm ammonia, nitrite-0, nitrate-80ppm. I do 30% water change yesterday and this morning 50%. Its suddenly the nitrate go 80ppm. How to maintain the ph level at 7.4?
first of all, congrats because it sounds like you're nearly cycled! that's why your nitrates spiked! yay!

do you have any driftwood or peat moss in your tank? what about airstone and bubbles? live plants? all of those things can cause pH to drop.

if it's those things, then as long as your pH is stable, i don't suggest doing anything to change it. most fish will acclimate and you're fine as long as your pH is stable and doesn't drop to 6 or below.

if you don't have those things in your tank, then you should get an API kH/gH testing kit. test your tap water AND your tank water for kH. if it is 1 or 2 drops, that's why your pH has dropped.

if your kH is low, it means your pH will swing which is not good. you can fix that by getting oyster grit or crushed coral in fishsafe mesh bags and putting those directly into your filter.

kashbill

Reaction score
Jenoli42 said:
first of all, congrats because it sounds like you're nearly cycled! that's why your nitrates spiked! yay!

do you have any driftwood or peat moss in your tank? what about airstone and bubbles? live plants? all of those things can cause pH to drop.

if it's those things, then as long as your pH is stable, i don't suggest doing anything to change it. most fish will acclimate and you're fine as long as your pH is stable and doesn't drop to 6 or below.

if you don't have those things in your tank, then you should get an API kH/gH testing kit. test your tap water AND your tank water for kH. if it is 1 or 2 drops, that's why your pH has dropped.

if your kH is low, it means your pH will swing which is not good. you can fix that by getting oyster grit or crushed coral in fishsafe mesh bags and putting those directly into your filter.
i got driftwood with Christmas moss, 4 stem java fern ,java moss and 4stem unknown aquaplant, with ada soil 3inch. I use mini canister dophin cf300 without the carbon, i replace with gravel stone. i plan to put betta fish and corycat in, does coral gravel too rough for this fish?

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
kashbill said:
i got driftwood with Christmas moss, 4 stem java fern ,java moss and 4stem unknown aquaplant, with ada soil 3inch. I use mini canister dophin cf300 without the carbon, i replace with gravel stone. i plan to put betta fish and corycat in, does coral gravel too rough for this fish?
I would start out by testing your tap water pH and compare it to your tank pH.

if you want to be sure your tank is fish safe, get the testing kit i mentioned and test your tap kH and your tank kH. as long as it's 2-3 or more, then the drop in pH is from your driftwood and you should be just fine to acclimate your fish to your low pH. there are stunning fish that prefer low pH water, so you're actually lucky as long as your pH is stable you can get some really stunning fish

kashbill

Reaction score
Jenoli42 said:
I would start out by testing your tap water pH and compare it to your tank pH.

if you want to be sure your tank is fish safe, get the testing kit i mentioned and test your tap kH and your tank kH. as long as it's 2-3 or more, then the drop in pH is from your driftwood and you should be just fine to acclimate your fish to your low pH. there are stunning fish that prefer low pH water, so you're actually lucky as long as your pH is stable you can get some really stunning fish
thanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom