ph down

1. seasmoke1 Initiate Member

I promise I will go away for awhile after this question...As I said, the new 29 tank completed the N cycle all parameters have been fine and its day two with the new fish. But they appear in distress...I realized that I had not checked the PH...I guess I figured my other tank has been fine with the house water so there should not be an issue with this tank. However the one month assault of fish food used to cycle this new tank apparently is the only variable factor...the PH was 7.6 and my three volunteers from the old tank came from a PH of 6.6...do you think that is the problem? I have performed one treatment of API PH down tody.

2. Fall River Member Member

Did you do a large water change (70-80%) and gravel vac after the cycle? I really think it's best not to tinker with the Ph, especially using chemicals, unless absolutely necessary. Were the fish acclimated properly? A slow drip acclimation will prepare the fish quite well for a new Ph level. I recently moved a couple male swords from a 7.5 tank to a 6.2 (due to Co2 injection), just took it slow and all is well. :)

P.S. nobody here wants you to go away. Can't learn without questions!

3. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Even with that ph its not that high fish can live in it if you want it to go down take Fall rivers advice.

4. iRun Member Member

Fallriver nailed it. My tank is around 7.5 or a little higher and fish that come from waters with pH in the 6's do just fine in it. Remember that pH lowering chemicals aren't "removing" anything, just adding more dissolved, unnatural chemicals to the osmotic burden of the fish.