pH down help please!

1. TheCoolFish Member Member

I have a 50 gallon tank with an over flow tank. I bought some API pH down to lower my pH because it is currently at 8.3. I'm at the end of cycling the tank with two plecos in it. I doused it with 45 gallons worth (90 drops) and I still have not had a change in pH. My levels are: pH: 8.3 Ammonia: 0.15 or less ppm Nitrite: 0 ppm Nitrate: 7 or more ppm. Temp is 79 degrees. I don't want to kill my fish by too quickly changing the pH so please help me.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hi TheCoolFish, if your Plecos have been fine during cycling with your PH level at 8.3, they should be acclimated to that PH level. Keeping a stable PH is more important than adjusting with chemicals as these chemicals can temporarily adjust the issue, wear off and cause a dangerous fluctuation. Best of luck.

3. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

pH down is not a very safe product. pH swings, drastic ones, are a serious risk. Like Riv, I wouldn't suggest using it to lower your pH. There are other ways you can lower it, depending if you want to keep specific fish that require lower pH, but plecos are very forgiving of pH values (at least the ones common to pet stores are) and probably won't mind. I kept an L144 bristlenose in my tap water, which has pH off the chart high, and she was healthy until a disease outbreak which had nothing to do with my pH.

4. TheCoolFish Member Member

Well I want a cichlid tank and they are very sensitive to high pH. I think I might settle with a tetra tank. It's a shame because I have it setup for cichlids.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Your ph is fine for a lot of african cichlids, I'd go with your original plans & have your cichlid tank you'd struggle to keep tetras at the high Ph

6. TheCoolFish Member Member

Really ok I could also be the chemical stage in my overflow

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. TheCoolFish Member Member

I tested it on some tap water and the ratio was 1:10 1 gallon of water to 10 gallons worth of pH down to change it .6

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

SA cichlids are sensitive to high pH and need lower pH, but African cichlids would be fine in that water. The problem with pH down is that even if you have the ratio "perfect" at first it will creep back up and you wind up with wild fluctuations and crashes. Really not worth the hassle or your fishie lives. 50 gallons is a nice size for a cichlid tank, as well.