Ph Difference

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Needing advice,

I just purchased some fish from my lfs that I was worried about (more on that later).

Ph from bag fish came in 6.6

Ph in my qt 7.

They are slowly acclimating however how will this affect my fish?

These fish prefer a lower pH, however I'm quite surprised the lfs has such low pH.

I've added tannons but I'm concerned how the fish will adjust in the mean time.

Questions - how stressful will this be on them?

Will liquid tannons lower pH?

I'm willing to change the tank around as I believe it's the substrate bringing pH up (eco complete).

10gallon, heavily planted, sponge filter, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, pH 7. Have not yet checked gh/kh on this tank

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's fine, dont chase ph. Your fish will adjust with no problem. Do keep an eye on your ph though. A ph of 7 doesn't have much kh if any, so ph crashes are likely. You can avoid this by putting crushed coral in your filter. Rinse it first to prevent white flakes going everywhere.

OP
Brizburk

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's fine, dont chase ph. Your fish will adjust with no problem. Do keep an eye on your ph though. A ph of 7 doesn't have much kh if any, so ph crashes are likely. You can avoid this by putting crushed coral in your filter. Rinse it first to prevent white flakes going everywhere.
These fish require very low pH, prefer 5

OP
Brizburk

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What vinegar living fish did you get?! I'm half joking. 5 is pretty acidic. You cant make that very well from tap water. You would need to mix rodi water with acid to keep a ph that low.
Lol licorice Gourami. They are a CARES fish - caresforfish.org. they are ok in 6.6 but won't breed unless they are closer to 4. So yes, vinegar fish

Also RO will come next month... Was going to do it this month but im pushing it back for a bit.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lol licorice Gourami. They are a CARES fish - caresforfish.org. they are ok in 6.6 but won't breed unless they are closer to 4. So yes, vinegar fish

Also RO will come next month... Was going to do it this month but im pushing it back for a bit.
Do you know where your fish came from? If so you may be able to contact the breeder. All I can say about this is good luck. A cycle below 6 is far out of my realm and experience.

OP
Brizburk

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Do you know where your fish came from? If so you may be able to contact the breeder. All I can say about this is good luck. A cycle below 6 is far out of my realm and experience.
No one knows where they came from exactly.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No one knows where they came from exactly.
Ok. From what I gather, you need an rodi unit, peat moss, leaf litter, and buy humic acid. Use the rodi unit, raise gh but not kh, keep the peat moss and leaves in the tank, and use humic acid to lower the ph prior to water changes.

The exact way to cycle such a beast seems theoretical at best, voodoo and not existent at worst, but seems possible below 6.0, but not between 6.0 and 6.6

I know they are being bred. I honestly have no idea who is doing it. I only recently found out that Israel has farms for otos and amanos. It's entirely likely your fish will be fine at 7.6 due to adaptability for farming.

OP
Brizburk

Brizburk

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok. From what I gather, you need an rodi unit, peat moss, leaf litter, and buy humic acid. Use the rodi unit, raise gh but not kh, keep the peat moss and leaves in the tank, and use humic acid to lower the ph prior to water changes.

The exact way to cycle such a beast seems theoretical at best, voodoo and not existent at worst, but seems possible below 6.0, but not between 6.0 and 6.6

I know they are being bred. I honestly have no idea who is doing it. I only recently found out that Israel has farms for otos and amanos. It's entirely likely your fish will be fine at 7.6 due to adaptability for farming.
I know they can survive just fine in pH outside their natural wild pH. I'm just concerned about the move from on pH to another in the span of a couple hours. Do you think that has caused them harm?

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I know they can survive just fine in pH outside their natural wild pH. I'm just concerned about the move from on pH to another in the span of a couple hours. Do you think that has caused them harm?
From 6.6 to 7? No harm should happen at all. They likely had worse from the shipping bag to the lfs. Fish can ph adjust pretty well. It's why plop and drop works for shipped fish.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I ran a 5.5 ph tank. What a pain. I used leaves for my substrate. Lightly stock so water changes can be smaller. Humid acid in the water your adding. You will not have a cycle but ammonia is safe at that ph. Kelp your ammonia under 2. I didn't use rodi but I have pretty neutral water. Any other questions just ask.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom