Ph Changes Not Making Sense

Skyelar
I’ve been having a high ph of about 8.2 in my ten gallon freshwater tank and 3 gallon Betta tank. Two days ago, I did a ph test that said my Betta tank was now at 7.4-7.6. Today, it says my 10 gallon tank is 7.4-7.6. Today, I also did a ph test in the Betta tank after a 50% water change and it’s now saying 8.2. I tested my tap water and it’s 7.2. How did the ph change so much in 48 hours? My Tanks do not have any plants right now. My 10 gallon has a molly, 4 shrimp, mystery snail, and African dwarf frog.

Advertisement
cello
It could be the tap water changing or the testing results being inaccurate. Did you add any driftwood or decorations?

Skyelar
I have not. The decorations have been the same for quite a while. I think it’s inaccurate results though I don’t know why the apI testing kit would be wrong. I’ve been doing high ph testing since it’s usually around 8.2. Today, the 10 gallon tank said it was 7.4 or lower so I did regular ph too and it says 7.6 or higher. I’m not sure why it’s so inaccurate. Should I just take a sample to my LPS?

Heron
When you tested the tap water did you allow it to sit awhile or did you test it straight from the tap?. Tap water gives weird readings straight from the tap you need it to stand a bit for some of the water treatment chemicals to leave it. I also usually add the water conditioner and give it five minutes to. Work before testing it

Advertisement
Skavatar
most of the time tap water will have a different pH coming straight out of the tap vs sitting for a few hours or overnight. different gases and mineral content in tap water can cause the pH to either rise or drop hours after coming out of the tap.

Skyelar
Ohhh, I did it immediately. Thank you, I’ll try testing the water after using prime and then waiting a few minutes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
toosie
Replies
Views
mattgirl
  • Question