PH changed in 7.5gall.

Gwenz

When I first got my 7.5gall, I was testing the PH with the normal PH test (API). It was always on the highest on the colour chart (7.4 I think it is), but then 3 months ago I realised there was a High PH test kit and started testing with that one and realised the PH of the tank is acctualy 7.8. Its weird because my other tank is 7.2, but I thought i'd just let the fish get used to it (didn't want to use chemicals etc.). Ever since I discovered the High PH its always been at 7.8, so I guess it just always has been like this, it was just the normal one wouldn't show higher thank 7.4 or whatever it is.

Anyway, I just tested the tank and it came out as it being 8.0. . I'm thinking this is a bit high and wondering why it has suddenly changed! I haven't changed anything in the tank except that I moved 3 fish from the 15gall in there. Whats caused this and what can I do?

I don't want it constantly changing, stressing the fish. :-\

thanks

Gwenz ???

Isabella

I have a problem with high pH in my 75 gallon tank too. But as long as my fish are fine, I am not messing with water chemistry. The reason my pH is high is that my nutrient-rich substrate for plants is raising it. Are you perhaps using any nutrient-rich substrate in your 7.5 gallon tank?

Also, what is your tap pH? How often do you perform water changes in the 7.5 gallon tank? How many and what fish do you have in it? Do you have any rocks in the tank? If so, what rocks?

Butterfly

...and is your water supplier doing anything different with the water?
carol

Gwenz

I have a problem with high pH in my 75 gallon tank too. But as long as my fish are fine, I am not messing with water chemistry. The reason my pH is high is that my nutrient-rich substrate for plants is raising it. Are you perhaps using any nutrient-rich substrate in your 7.5 gallon tank?

Also, what is your tap pH? How often do you perform water changes in the 7.5 gallon tank? How many and what fish do you have in it? Do you have any rocks in the tank? If so, what rocks?

Well I've never changed the substrate so I don't see why it would change now after nearly a year. Tap PH is around 6.8 but it's always been different in both tanks but alway stayed stable. I do a water change once a week. I have 3 fish, 1 leopard danio, 1 neon tetra (whats left from the 15gall. :-\ ) and my 1 guppie. I have rocks in the tank but not sure what they are.

Carol, not sure about the supplier, but if they had done anything, wouldn't it have changed in my 15gall as well?

Gwenz

jsalemi

Do you have any rocks or shells in there that may have started leaching out calcium and changing the water hardness? That could affect the pH over time. Or maybe your water supplier changed their hardness level, and the pH is different in the two tanks because of the ratio of old to new water (or maybe just the difference in volume). You might want to pick up a kit to test water hardness, and/or check on your water company's web site to see their latest water quality report, which lists things like the hardness, pH and amount of other chemicals in the water supply.

Tom

If you really want to lower it without adding chemicals, just put some natural peat that hasn't been tampered with. The peat will lower it to about 6.5-7.0. It is just an option.
Tom

Top Bottom