Ph Buffer

qchris87

Well Known Member
Messages
2,357
Reaction score
260
Points
98
Experience
More than 10 years
I use crushed coral in all my tanks. My water doesn't even register on the pH test kit so I assume it's six or lower. Only problem I find with crushed coral is that in order to buffer it dissolves so eventually you have to add more and adding the appropriate amount is hard and can cause a spike in pH until it stabilizes back to around 7.2-7.4

What size tank is this for? I use about a tablespoon for my 5.5 gallon.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

Rob Shannon

Valued Member
Messages
75
Reaction score
29
Points
53
Experience
Just started
qchris87 said:
I use crushed coral in all my tanks. My water doesn't even register on the pH test kit so I assume it's six or lower. Only problem I find with crushed coral is that in order to buffer it dissolves so eventually you have to add more and adding the appropriate amount is hard and can cause a spike in pH until it stabilizes back to around 7.2-7.4

What size tank is this for? I use about a tablespoon for my 5.5 gallon.
I have a 55gal and im using medium sized coral gravel in a filter sock in my HOB. My tap water registers about 7.2 but I’d like to maintain a level closer to 8.0 for my African cichlids. I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth the time to try to maintain a pH that matches their natural habitat or let them acclimate to my water source. Obviously I want them to thrive and be as colorful as possible. I also have some aragonite in the substrate and will be adding some Texas holey rock. I have not yet stocked this tank.
 

qchris87

Well Known Member
Messages
2,357
Reaction score
260
Points
98
Experience
More than 10 years
Rob Shannon said:
I have a 55gal and im using medium sized coral gravel in a filter sock in my HOB. My tap water registers about 7.2 but I’d like to maintain a level closer to 8.0 for my African cichlids. I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth the time to try to maintain a pH that matches their natural habitat or let them acclimate to my water source. Obviously I want them to thrive and be as colorful as possible. I also have some aragonite in the substrate and will be adding some Texas holey rock. I have not yet stocked this tank.
Sorry I have no idea about African Cichlids. Maybe @TexasDomer can help
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7

Rob Shannon

Valued Member
Messages
75
Reaction score
29
Points
53
Experience
Just started
TexasDomer said:
Can you test your KH and GH? You really do need harder water for them - they won't do well long term in water that's too soft. Aragonite and holey rock will help though.
With buffers (what I mentioned above) plus Seachem cichlid salt and Malawi buffer I’m right where I want to be. But a PWC will bring kH and pH down considerably. Out of the tap I have a kH of about 50ppm and a gH of 80.
 

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,823
Reaction score
2,755
Points
348
Experience
More than 10 years
When my tank crashed I got some crushed coral to help bring it from 6.0 to 7.4ish.

I used a 1 cup to 40g ratio. So you might want to explore using that and if it doesn’t get you want you want you can add a bit more.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

Rob Shannon

Valued Member
Messages
75
Reaction score
29
Points
53
Experience
Just started
Fashooga said:
When my tank crashed I got some crushed coral to help bring it from 6.0 to 7.4ish.

I used a 1 cup to 40g ratio. So you might want to explore using that and if it doesn’t get you want you want you can add a bit more.
So was that in powder form or sand/gravel?

Hopefully the medium sized gravel I used with be effective for a while.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom