Ph Balance

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Aquarium Josh, Apr 18, 2017.

1. A

Aquarium Josh Valued Member Member

What is the best way to get my ph down and maintain it? It is currently at 8.2 and I would like it to be 7 7.2.

2. r

rubysword Valued Member Member

Indian almond leaves, or if you'd like to go ghetto, a whole lot of oak leaves. Make sure they are safe(no pesticides) and put them in. They may make the water tea colored. That is perfectly safe.

3. OP
    OP
    A

Do they have to be dried and how many do you think for a 20 gal tank?

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Why are you trying to lower your pH? It's fine for most all fish in the hobby. Just wondering ;) It can be done, but it's harder and usually not necessary.

5. OP
    OP
    A

The fish I would like when I looked them up they mostly all said a ph of 6.5 to 7.5

Also I don't think my plants like the ph that high

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  6. TexasDomer

What fish are they? They'll likely be fine in your high pH.

What kind of plants? All my tanks are 8.2 and I have no issue growing plants (or keeping soft water, low pH fish).

7. OP
    OP
    A

Ottocinlus, cory cats, dwarf goarmis, black skirt tetras, white clouds, and ghost shrimp.

8. TexasDomer

Should all be fine in your pH.

What numbers were you planning on stocking? It sounds like you may have a few stocking issues.

9. OP
    OP
    A

In order 1,3,2,5,5,3

10. TexasDomer

Would you like us to help you with your stocking issues?

11. OP
    OP
    A

Do you think that that is to much? It is also a going to be a heavily planted tank. It won't let me post a picture.

12. TexasDomer

Not necessarily too much, depending on tank size, but the numbers of each will cause you and your fish problems.

What size tank is this? We can suggest numbers for each species based on tank size.

13. OP
    OP
    A

20 gal

14. TexasDomer

20 gal tall (24" long) or 20 gal long (30" long)?

15. OP
    OP
    A

20 gal tall

16. TexasDomer

In that case, yes, that is too many species.

What species is your favorite?

17. OP
    OP
    A

I like them all you think may be just drop the tetras or just lower the numbers?

18. TexasDomer

You shouldn't lover the numbers. Otos, cories, tetras, and white clouds should be in groups of 6+; keeping them in smaller groups can stress them out, and you shouldn't do it. Male dwarf gouramis should not be kept together, especially in a tank this small - they'll kill each other.

What about this?
    6x Otos
    8x White clouds
    1x DG
    8x False julii cories (one of the smaller cory species - others can get too big for this tank size)
    Ghost shrimp

19. OP
    OP
    A

That seems like a lot of ottos should I wait for them until my tank is full of plants and algea?

Will white clouds eat the shrimp or can I get them at the same time?

I know the cory cats will eat the shrimp so I was going to get them after they breed the first time.

Will gourmis eat shrimp as well

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  20. TexasDomer

Otos should not be required to live off algae. You should feed them veggies and herbivore wafers as well, so you don't need to fill your tank with algae. However, they do require a cycled tank to thrive, so you'd want to wait to add them until after your tank is cycled.

The white clouds will not eat ghost shrimp.

The cory cats will not eat ghost shrimp either.

Ghost shrimp are difficult to breed.

The dwarf gourami will likely not be able to eat an adult ghost shrimp, but it may eat juveniles if you buy them young and small.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice