Ph balance

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by roxanaromaniak7, Aug 3, 2015.

1. roxanaromaniak7New MemberMember

How do you fix your ph? Mines at about 8.0 how do I get a little higher?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You can add crushed coral or an aragonite substrate to your tank. Why are you trying to increase it? Most fish in the aquarium trade can be adapted to a wide range of pH. What's most important is the stability rather than the exact value.

3. OP
    OP
    r

roxanaromaniak7New MemberMember

Just been told it should be in between 8.2 and 8.4. So u think where it's at is ok?

4. TexasDomer

Why are you trying to get it between 8.2 and 8.4? For a particular kind of fish?

5. OP
    OP
    r

No that's just where Ive been told the tank should be

6. TexasDomer

Why though? Who told you this and why did they recommend this pH?

It depends on your stocking as to what parameters are ideal. The hardness/softness, alkalinity, temp, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates levels are more important that the pH (as long as the pH is at a safe level, between 6.5 and 8.5).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  7. OP
    OP
    r

Idk? My test kit says that's where it should be and fish store people told me that

Ok

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  8. TexasDomer

Fish store people don't always give the best advice. Too often they're just trying to sell things. Your pH is fine. What do you have in the tank now?

9. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

I'm no expert on saltwater tanks having only had a nano but a ph of 8.0 is imo fine & a stable one is better for the fish than trying to alter it.
    Hopefully one of our experienced salty keepers can give you more information.

10. OP
    OP
    r

A dotty back. I just reposted my first post about my tank. Can u read it please? I feel I didn't get enough info the first time. My tanks a mess right now....

11. TexasDomer

I read your post already. I'm not familiar enough with saltwater tanks to know how to help you, sorry :( I only know a bit about pH!

12. OP
    OP
    r

Ok thanks tho! Lol

13. Slug

SlugWell Known MemberMember

As long as the 8 is stable and everything in the tank looks ok I wouldn't worry to terribly much. Mine is the same way, I feel like it should be 8.2 or 8.4 but it's sitting closer to 8 but everything looks ok and my other levels are good. It's not TO far off. Do you run a skimmer? Where is the tank located in the house? What is your alk level?

There are many ways to raise to pH but like I said if it's stable and working I wouldn't chase it. If you want to tweak it

Your pH is directly effected by the amount of CO2 in the water. That's why I asked about a skimmer and where your tank was. If the tank is in a room where you have a lot of animals or people on a consistent basis you are always going to have more CO2 trapped than a room that gets less activity. Some even run their skimmer air in take lines outside to pull in fresh air for this reason. You can try raising Alk if it's low this should boost pH some, but remember to balance your Alk and Cal as well.

You might even solve your issue with a simple solution of just pointing a powerhead at the surface of the tank for more aeration. This is something I would try before fighting chemicals, dosing, etc. Your other options could be something like a kalk drip or macroalgae.

If the tank is still cycling don't worry about it yet.

14. OP
    OP
    r

I think it's still cycling...it's been running for a month and a half and still ammonia. Please read my other post about my ammonia spike lol I need more info

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice