Ph and Kh question for Blackwater tank

Bruinfishkeeper1

Hey guys, so im setting up a South Indian Blackwater Biotope Malabar Puffer tank (Pea puffer)

I really like the blackwater biotope aspect and I want to implement that for the tank.

However Malabar Puffers like ph from 6.7-7.4

So I don't want to throw in a ton of tannic botanicals and have my ph at like 5. Although this being said I got a feeling that my Ph wont even be buffered that much at all.

I was told by Pfrozen that I could remineralize through RO but i currently cant get an RO system. I tested my ph and kh today and my kh is about 9to10 (through api test kit i got about 9-10 drops) My ph is about 7.4-7.6 ish.

Will my higher KH make it so my ph won't drop as significantly (although I do want it to drop slightly). And even maybe under 7

How should I go about this.

Also during water changes I was planning on putting fritz darkwater (a few drops) to add tannins to each wc, and calculate and test how much I need.
MacZ Pfrozen you guys got any input?
(And everyone else who can help.. obviously)

Pfrozen

is that 9-10 degrees? If so then no amount of anything will ever lower your pH.

Also I don't have an RO system... I just buy a bottle of RO water from Culligan every week... costs 40 cents per gallon

Upvote 0

Bruinfishkeeper1

is that 9-10 degrees? If so then no amount of anything will ever lower your pH.

Also I don't have an RO system... I just buy a bottle of RO water from Culligan every week... costs 40 cents per gallon
Ok sounds good to me. I'd honestly rather just use my tap water, since my ph seems to he just about good. I've also heard that pea puffers have thrived all the way up to a ph of 8 and mine is .6-.4 less (7.4-7.6) so I'll be perfectly fine. Thanks for the clarification!!

Pfrozen Also one more quick thing :). Does this mean I don't have to worry to much about having to put the perfect amount of darkwater extract in wc water (since its smaller water changes at a time).

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
  • Question
Replies
Views
Frank the Fish guy
  • Question
Replies