Ph And High Range Ph Same Or Different?

1. Colt Frost

Colt Frost Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +145
    I just tested the Ph of my water and the normal ph was 7.6, but the high range Ph was 8.2. Are these the same thing and will it hurt my fish?

2. CanadianJoeh

CanadianJoeh Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +804
    The normal pH stops at 7.6 and anything above will be the same color. If the high range pH says 8.2, then your pH is 8.2.

Is this a liquid test kit or a paper strip?

8.2 is rather high, what type of fish are you keeping?

3. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Ratings:
    +145
    Liquid test. Angelfish, swordtails, platies, mollies, gouramis, a clown pleco, a betta, an ADF, bronze cories, skirt tetras, and nerite snails. Would this ph level harm my fish?

4. Swampgorilla

Swampgorilla Member Member

Ratings:
    +121
    7.6 is the maximum reading on the regular API pH test kit. It will not read anything higher than that and if you get that reading, you should actually retest using the high pH test. So 8.2 should be your pH.

Will it hurt your fish? Well, that depends on the type of fish you have.

EDIT: LOL ... already answered. Sorry

5. CanadianJoeh

Ratings:
    +804
    Do you mean 8.2?

6. CanadianJoeh

Ratings:
    +804
    It's pretty high for a pH, i would recommend getting a product to bring your pH down. API makes a product for it, as well as Seachem Neutral Regulator which keeps your PH at 7

EDIT : but if your fish seem healthy don't mess with the pH. Messing with the pH can be dangerous.

7. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Ratings:
    +145
    Would the sudden change in Ph harm the fish more?

My platies have been acting strange lately and I think I now know why.

8. Swampgorilla

Ratings:
    +121
    Don't mess with pH unless you have an understanding of buffering / gH / kH. You will likely to more harm than good trying to manipulate pH.

You will prolly be fine - research the pH your fish need. I keep Cory's and they like basically low pH ... they thrive in 8.2 - which is what my tap is.

EDIT: You may not like doing it ... but researching and becoming intimately knowledgeable about gH and kH and buffering - and how all that relates to pH ... will do you good if you have pH in the high or low range coming out of your tap.

9. CanadianJoeh

Ratings:
    +804
    I edited my post, make sure you read it.

You can do more research and VERY slowly lower your pH to more around 8 or 7.8.

10. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Ratings:
    +145
    The only fish that seem off are my platies. I lost one yesterday for no reason, and now the other 2 are acting strange. And what are some ways you recommend lowering it slowly? Leaves? Vinegar?

11. Swampgorilla

Ratings:
    +121
    Just do a search on what water parameters each fish you have needs. Hopefully you chose fish that all require similar water conditions. If not ... well ...

Again, I would not manipulate pH until it has been determined it's an absolute MUST. With pH that high - it's likey that your buffering capacity is SKY HIGH ... it may be extremely difficult to lower it and even then - it could zip back up in the blink of eye producing a roller-coaster effect.

If you REALLY need to lower pH - best option is to go RO/DI and even that's a pain because you have to add minerals back in or fighure out an RO/DI / tap water ratio that works to produce the pH you want, with the mineral content you want.

Bro, this is a COMPLICATED issue ... believe me I know.

12. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Ratings:
    +145
    I think I need to lower it my 50 gallon down to 7.5-7.6.. I honestly thought my tap water was 7.6. Is blackwater extract good for slowly getting it down?

In my 50 gallon I have Angelfish, swordtails, mollies, platies, bronze cories, a dwarf gourami, and nerite snails. I think I need to lower this to 7.5-7.6 but I'm not sure because all the fish are completely fine except the platies, but it's only the angelfish I need to worry about with this high of a ph level. I don't know why the platies are acting weird. And then my 55 gallon has a Kissing gourami, swordtails, skirt tetras, bronze cories, and a (soon to be) bristlenose pleco. I think there all fine with the high ph. The my betta and adf are fine. Neon tetras are fine. All my fish are fine except for the platies.... I'm going to do the test again to make sure I didn't mess something up.

13. Swampgorilla

Ratings:
    +121
    Do what you feel you need to do. I can't advise you on lowering pH with chemicals or even other natural methods because after I researched it ... the bulk of what I found indicated that it was more trouble than it's worth. Again, if I had a fish I needed to keep and it needed lower pH water ... then I would resort to RO/DI strategies.

You also have to figure that POSSIBLY the reason your tap is so high is because you have MORE MINERALS in your water. This is a positive thing usually. A soft water fish can adapt (in many cases) to harder water. See all this factors in. You could lower it ... what is your ability to MAINTAIN it? Is your buffering so high that it would be impossible to maintain? Are your fish capable of adapting to harder water if that is indeed what you have (and it probably is what you have). But you would really need to know all these things before setting out on a pH lowering strategy. Otherwise, you're just making a stab in the dark.

14. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Ratings:
    +145
    I just tested water straight from my tap and it's only 7.4...... Why is the tank so high, but the tap is low? Could it be my substrate?

15. Swampgorilla

Ratings:
    +121
    Case in point ... my Panda Corydoras ... the "internet" says I need 6.0 to 7.4 pH.

Well my tap water is 8.2 ... same as yours.

I do nothing ... they thrive and spawn and Cory's are pretty sensitive fish under most circumstances. This is why I spent weeks looking into possibly lowering my pH and almost purchasing an RO/DI. But ... in the end ... they do fine.

16. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Ratings:
    +145
    I think it is my substrate... I just tested my 55 gallon too, and it's at 8.2... But the tap is at 7.4

17. Swampgorilla

Ratings:
    +121
    When was the last time you changed water in the tank and what have you put in it? What's in the tank? What kind of substrate? What's in the filter(s)?

EDIT: Substrate is a good possibility. Very good you tested the water out of the tap!

18. OP
    OP
    Colt Frost

Ratings:
    +145
    The substrate is Quikrete all natural play sand. And in the filter I have carbon, pillow floss, and a black sponge that came with the filter in my 50 gallon. Now in my tetra tank it's bare bottom at the moment, and it still has a high ph. But all the tanks have carbon except the bettas and I haven't tested his yet. I'll do that now.

Oh and last water change was a couple of days ago. All I add is prime. And the bettas water is 8.2 also.. I don't know what it is. Could it be prime making it go up?

19. Swampgorilla

Ratings:
    +121
  20. CanadianJoeh

Ratings:
    +804
    No not vinigar, API has a product called pH down

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted