ph altering devices.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by luke355027355027, Dec 4, 2012.

1. l

luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

Hey guys i need somw advice on PH altering equipment. It can be from filters to tablets. I have looked at tablets that treat the water.

I wont be doing this to tank water but my water i store for changes.

Also trying not to go over 200$ so if anyone has had luck with ph tablets or filters let me know please.

2. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

Are you trying to lower the pH or raise it? Also, any particular reason you want to change it?

I have not tried to raise pH, but I have lowered my pH with RO water and peat (in my filter) safely.

If the pH tablets are anything like other pH chemical modifiers it won't result in a stable pH, but I could be wrong since I haven't used them. Peat can be floated in a mesh filter sock with an airstone in a bucket for a week. That would lower the pH slightly by the acids released, and also lower GH and KH. An RO/DI unit could be used to mix with tap water to the range you want, but filters can add up and the unit may not be cheap. Just watch what the KH value becomes, if you have a way to measure it, so you still have a buffering capacity (it is either 3 or 4 dH is the minimum KH for stability). Like other significant changes it should be done slowly.

3. OP
    OP
    l

My ph is extremely high 8.4 and i wanted.to lower it.

I assume chemicals would be safe since i wont be treating my tank water but instead treating stored water for water changes.

4. c

Ok, my previous advice for softening the water would work outside of the aquarium for the water changes. The problem with the chemicals is they do not change the buffering capacity of the water. So, the pH will change, but not permanently, because they do not lower the carbonate hardness or general hardness of the water. Just mixing the tap water with RO water would be the most effective way to make a significant change, slowly, with water changes. It took me a little over a month to change my tanks from a pH of 8.0 and a KH of 17.

The KH and GH on your end would determine how easy the change will be.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  5. OP
    OP
    l

So i should put a bag of peat moss in the water storage containers with an airstone. Could i put the peat moss in my filters or would the ph eventually go to low

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

With frequent water changes, you may not see much of a dip in your pH levels by adding Peat. I use Sara or Fluval Peat Pellets to prefilter my water for water changes and I have it in my display tank filters too.

I have well water with a pH so high it's off the charts. My tanks still hold at 8.0 to 8.2.

Not only do I add it to help with pH, I think it's great for my 33g planted tank as another type of fertilizer.

I would avoid tablets, chemicals to alter your pH levels as they are not stable and can cause pH swings resulting in fish loss.

Ken

7. c

Aquarist48 covered the peat well. When I floated the peat in the water it took about a week to see a drop in the levels. In the end my pH only dropped about 0.2 because my well water is buffered really well, which is why I started mixing. If you don't like tannin stained water then you may need to run activated carbon to remove it. My fish seem to love it, especially in my blackwater tank.

Along with the benefit to plants, I believe there are benefits from the acids released for the health of the fish. If you add peat to the filter it works better in a spot that has a slower flow to make it more effective. Also, I believe pouring boiling water over the bag of peat helps speed up its effectiveness and removes some of the dust. I run fluval peat granules in one tank and organic peat from home depot in another, both seem equally effective with biweekly changes.

8. OP
    OP
    l

Thank you all for the info very informative. My Ph has always been high (8.4) and my angels got columaris. And i just jumped to conclusions that it was the Ph

9. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

A stable ph is more important than the ph itself. If your fish is used to it then the ph is fine. Sudden drops in ph will probably kill your fish. If you are lowering ph, do it gradually. Take care of the columnaris first since this disease is deadly and will decimate your entire fish population quickly. Changing the ph will just aggravate your fish even more. I used Tetra Fungus Guard which has nitrofurazone and is also not that expensive. I treated for twice the treatment days longer just to be sure. Avoid weak medication when it comes to columnaris, antibiotics are advisable. Melafix or Pimafix will probably do nothing. If you are maintaining a high ph, just drip acclimate your new fish properly before introducing to the tank. Garlic soaking your fish food and adding vitamins like Boyd Vita Chem will help them fight disease.

10. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

Columnaris usually kills in a day or so. Your angle probably has a fungus/velvet.

And (as stated) a consistant PH is way more important than a lower PH. Leave things where they are and avoid drastic PH swings.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice