PH 8.2, Should I Adjust?

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So as you can see in my signature my aquarium includes Gold Barbs, Bolivian Rams, and a Keyhole. All of which prefer slightly acidic waters. I hadn't checked the Ph until yesterday at the LFS(they us API liquid Master Kit) and the guy checked it 3 times cause he was surprised how high it is. I just use my tap water(with Prime) for my water changes so I assume that's what my Tap Ph is. My male ram is quite colorful(red and blue on his fins, whole front half is bright yellow) so I assume he's happy with the Ph, keyhole changes color constantly depending mostly on what's going on outside the tank, but he is often a pale yellow with brighter pectoral fins so I assume he's happy too. Also my barbs are much brighter than at the store. What I'm wondering is if this is gonna shorten the lifespans of my fish, living in such a high Ph. I have two smallish pieces of driftwood in there(maybe 5-6" each), but they're apparently not doing all that much. Should I just leave it be? My tanks too small for Mbunas(who 8.2 would be great for). Depressingly I have a 50G but my wife is dead set against me setting it up..

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Stable is better than a specific number for most fish. If they are properly acclimated, most fish will adapt and thrive. All of your fish are flexible about pH so you're fine.

-Lisa

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Most fish will adjust, as you probably have read, but 8.2 is a bit high. If your fish are ok you could just leave it. If you want to lower it you could add more wood or use peat or peat pellets, either in your filter or to treat the water before you use it. I'd stay away from products that adjust ph so you don't end up with wild ph swings. Stick with the more natural methods. Another option would be to plant your tank and use DIY CO2.

Try bribing her with foot rubs. That would work for me.

NINJA!

EDIT: My tap water right out of the tap is 8 or 8-2 but my planted tanks are like 6 to 6.4.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
8.2 is perfectly acceptable for most fish. It won't shorten their life span, and I wouldn't consider it high. It is in the tolerable range. As others said, stable is better than a specific number. I would leave it alone.

NC_OBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the advice I suspected that'd be the consensus but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't TOO high.

I'll look into the foot rubs, maybe sneak in a back rub too

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom