Ph 8.0 to high for Fire Mouth cichlids?

Bianca
Hi
I currently have a 55 gallon tank with yellow lab cichlids. They are doing very well as tap water PH is 8.0 .

I would like to set up a second tank of 40 gallons for a pair of fire mouth cichlids however again the PH is 8.0 as you know that's high.

I can easily buy a tap water purifier if needed to change PH before water changes as no way going to use chemicals to lower ph.

Is 8.0 to high for fire mouths to breed ?
Ideal temps?

Thank you

capekate
Hi
I currently have a 55 gallon tank with yellow lab cichlids. They are doing very well as tap water PH is 8.0 .

I would like to set up a second tank of 40 gallons for a pair of fire mouth cichlids however again the PH is 8.0 as you know that's high.

I can easily buy a tap water purifier if needed to change PH before water changes as no way going to use chemicals to lower ph.

Is 8.0 to high for fire mouths to breed ?
Ideal temps?

Thank you
Hello Bianca and welcome to fishlore. ;D
I also love the CA Firemouth cichlids. I do not have a pair, just one juvI growing out in a 29 gallon tank. My PH is very low so have not had any problems with it (yet). But after doing research, I find on the average that the Ph range is from 7.0-8. Depends on what site you read. But I was surprised to see that during breeding, the higher Ph is what works. So I can assume that your Ph of 8 will be fine for your firemouth.
They like a higher temperature as well. I would think that around 80* is the normal range, and higher during spawning.
I agree with not messing with your PH, that alone will cause you more problems with them then you need.
IMO your PH is good enough and will not cause any problems that need to be addressed with modifying your PH levels. They are a pretty hardy fish but really need clean water conditions the most over ideal PH range.
Good luck with your choice... ;D

~ kate

Bianca
Great thank you very much for the help . I never saw one till recently (well saw them only on sites and magazine) .

We saw a wild one in local canal in shallow area it was lovely than it swam into deeper area . After that wanted a pair and local pet store owner said he would trade fry for fish food,polyfilter pads,etc so decided to try a pair hope to get soon.

Thanks

capekate
I hear they have traveled up to Florida as well. I would advise against any wild caught firemouths tho, they would be much more sensitive to your water conditions. A tank bred firemouth would be much more tolerant of a wider range of Ph and tank conditions than the wild caught.

Bianca
Oh should have made it clear . Yes I would never take a fish from the happy wild to a tank. Native or non native I won't bother it in any way.

I decided after I saw it to get some for myself but yes I agree captive bred. I was suprised how big it was very pretty.

The guy who was fishing for peacock bass there told me its firemouth and oscar mating time they hug the shallow rocky canal border .
Maybe because no big fish in shallow or due to lots of flat rocks I don't know . Imagine that has to be it.

Thanks

capekate
Oh should have made it clear . Yes I would never take a fish from the happy wild to a tank. Native or non native I won't bother it in any way.

I decided after I saw it to get some for myself but yes I agree captive bred. I was suprised how big it was very pretty.

The guy who was fishing for peacock bass there told me its firemouth and oscar mating time they hug the shallow rocky canal border .
Maybe because no big fish in shallow or due to lots of flat rocks I don't know . Imagine that has to be it.

Thanks
It was just a generalized opinion on wild caught, on my part, I didnt mean to insinuate that you would buy the wild caught. I also agree, that I would not buy any wild caught fish myself and feel the same way.
It must be pretty neat to be able to see the firemouth and oscars in their natural habitat. ;D

MissMTS
I agree. That is pretty amazing. I didn't know you could find them in Florida. I currently have a pair in a 29 gallon and the ph is 7.8 and they are doing great. I agree with capekate, your ph should not be a problem

Bianca
Thanks for the help everyone. I was trying to upload pics of oscar we saw in canal but it saids to big so going to read how to do it.

This is the lake fed by the canal with the fire mouth cichlids-convicts-mayan -oscars and the assorted African cichlids but only found in shallow areas as the peacock bass rule this area.

most are found in the big shallow canal but here the Oscars wind up when big and Fire mouths you can see once in while and convicts are here regardless of the Peacock bass.

That's one of local Iguanas crossing . It appears you have to click pic to see it (enlarge it) as I am not familiar with this system yet.

Allie
Thanks for the help everyone. I was trying to upload pics of oscar we saw in canal but it saids to big so going to read how to do it.

This is the lake fed by the canal with the fire mouth cichlids-convicts-mayan -oscars and the assorted African cichlids but only found in shallow areas as the peacock bass rule this area.

most are found in the big shallow canal but here the Oscars wind up when big and Fire mouths you can see once in while and convicts are here regardless of the Peacock bass.

That's one of local Iguanas crossing . It appears you have to click pic to see it (enlarge it) as I am not familiar with this system yet.
That is SO cool. I kinda wish we lived down south more, just to see the fish we keep in their natural environment.

Bianca
Its great for beach all year long and wildlife like exotic fish ,parrots,etc but outside of nature that's it and I mean that's it lol.

I used to live up North ( NY) and miss it a lot

Bianca
I agree. That is pretty amazing. I didn't know you could find them in Florida. I currently have a pair in a 29 gallon and the ph is 7.8 and they are doing great. I agree with capekate, your ph should not be a problem

Do your male and female fight ? I read some cichlids the male can kill the female .

I plan to only keep them by themselves with lots driftwood . I don't want to use 'dither" fish as don't want them hurt/killed.

You think my method will work?

Thanks

fishRfriends
I currently have 5 firemouths and a severum in my 46 gallon... of the firemouths, 3 are female and 2 are male and I actually have a pair that keep spawning (The male of the pair is the best looking firemouth in the tank)... they really don't fight at all... in fact they work together very well to defend their eggs... firemouths are one species of cichlid that are known to be monogamous when it comes to spawning... once it finds its match it's true love forever... well as far as fish go anyway haha. but yeah... I'm not really sure what to do... this is the third time they've tried to spawn and I really have no intention of keeping the fry, so they keep dying anyway... does anyone know a good way to... not trigger a spawning? heh

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Lswims11
  • pH
Replies
Views
barbiespoodle
Replies
Views
kered
Replies
Views