pH 6.4-8.4

Discussion in 'pH' started by happygolucky, Aug 13, 2015.

1. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

Today I tested my water(both tap, and cycling tank), and I got very different pH results. My tap is at 8.4(odd right?), and my tank water is at a 6.4-6.6. I don't know what happened in the 2 weeks there has been water in that tank, but something is up. I used some water conditioner when I first got the tank, then last Saturday I purchased Seachem Prime and Stability, and some fish. I have dosed Prime and Stability as directed, and the fish seem fine, but what could have changed my water so much?

Also, is it normal for me to only have .25 ammonia after 5 days of Stability, and nothing else?

P.S I have 3 platies in the tank, and I have read they dislike acidic water...true?

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

3. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

4. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

To get a true pH reading for your tap water you need to put some in a container and aerate it for 24 hours, this will allow ay dissolved gasses in the water that may alter your pH to escape

5. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

You think I should do that to get better readings? I still don't think my tap is as acidic as a 6.4-6.6...but I will definitely try

6. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Fish waste is what happened. It will slowly lower the pH, sometimes not so slowly if your KH is low. I would suspect that both GH and KH are fairly low in your tank.

7. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

What should I do to keep it from lowering any further? Water changes? I have been cycling, and with Prime and low ammonia/no nitrite readings I didn't feel the need to do anything but a slight gravel vac over the sand.

8. crystalm04Valued MemberMember

I've noticed that when my aquariums were cycling my PH dropped as low as 6.6 and one even dropped to 6.0 but only for a day. Now that they are cycled the PH has went back up to around a 7.5. I have livebearers so I was worried about them however, I've read that most fish will adapt to the PH in your aquarium and the only real harm done would be from a huge PH swing. I would wait until your aquarium finishes cycling and continue with your daily water changes before attempting to tamper with your PH.

As far as your ammonia reading .25 after 5 days of using stability and nothing else showing up yet, my guess would be that that would have to do with how heavily stocked or not you are. I would continue using stability until I started to see nitrites. Also if your doing daily water changes I would suggest to double dose the stability.

9. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

I have not been doing pwc. So you think use it until I see nitrites, then stop?

10. MtnTigerWell Known MemberMember

What are your testing with? Strips or liquid test kit?

11. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

API Master Test Kit that everyone suggests, so I'm almost 100% sure my readings aren't inaccurate.

12. crystalm04Valued MemberMember

Yes. It wont hurt a thing to continue to use it. Once you see nitrites then you can cut back. I used stability for almost two weeks on my aquarium and then stopped using it when my nitrites spiked off the charts and my nitrates were around 40. After that it took about 4 more days to finish cycling.

13. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

Ok, and during this time I dose with Prime, but no partial water changes? And then one big water change to lower the nitrates at the end of the cycle?

14. crystalm04Valued MemberMember

You can do water changes if needed, just make sure you double dose the stability if you do. I did daily water changes during my cycle because I didn't want to lose any fish.

15. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

Ok thanks. I dunno if you saw my other post, but one of my fish has ICH, so I'll actually be doing water changes, and my temp. will be at 84-86. Will this cause any issues?

16. crystalm04Valued MemberMember

As far as the temps go just make sure your fish can be in water that warm. I think the warmer temps would probably help the cycle. I've never had an ich issue yet so I'm not experienced in that at all. I'm not sure if the medication would affect your cycle. The most important part at this point would be to treat the ich first.

17. happygoluckyWell Known MemberMember

I'm not medicating, it'll be a last resort. I actually am lowering the temperature down to 80-82(may slow down the curing of the ich, but it's only for 2 weeks. I thought that most fish can survive in higher temps for short periods?

18. MtnTigerWell Known MemberMember

Yes they can. The temps don't stay exact in their natural habitat but fluctuate due to storms, seasonal changes, etc.

You'll be fine.

19. JsigmoWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't lower the temperature. You want it high to help with the ICH, and bacteria multiplies faster at warmer temperatures, so it might speed up the cycling.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice