Ph 6.0, nitrate, nitrite, and Ammonia are 0

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by MariB, Jul 5, 2015.

1. MariB

MariBNew MemberMember

Everything g was perfect then my ammonia went up so I rinsed my filter sponge, vacuumed and did a 25% water change thinking the elevated ammonia was from food or fish waste. It has been over 24 hours and now my Ph is 6.0 (I added Tetra Easy Balance just now), and my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are 0. What is going on with my tank?

2. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Id first recommend testing the ph from your tap. Once right from the tap, and test again on some thats had a chance to sit for a good 24 hours and let gas off. Any kind of chemical that alters ph (such as easy balance) can often cause more harm than good. Also if you have a GH and KH test kit, you should check your numbers. KH or Carbonate Hardness, is what helps buffer your water and keeps PH stable. Low KH could be causing your PH to drop. GH or General Hardness in part determines ph to some degree. Higher GH will sometimes mean higher PH. The two factors work hand in hand. Hope im not confusing you with my jibber jabber. I wish toosie was around I know she might be able to make sense of it. Jsigmo may also be able to offer some solid advice.

3. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariBNew MemberMember

I found a post on here about this and I banged the #2 nitrate bottle off the table and it worked. I tried to delete this post but I couldn't. Sorry.

4. Bluestreakfl

Well Nitrates wouldnt have anything to do with your PH doing a nosedive. Theres definitely something else going on.

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You said you rinsed your filter sponge. Did you rinse with old tank water?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariBNew MemberMember

My Ph is still 6.0, I have a test strip for KH and GH. I got a 140 on GH, and a 0 for KH. My KH was 40. So how can I fix that? Will it fix my Ph? I tested my water out of tap Ph 7.6 and sit for 24 hours Ph read 7.2. Should I do another water change straight from tap to bring Ph up. I'm worried about my fish.

7. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariBNew MemberMember

No tap water.

8. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You probably killed off your bacteria by doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. Bluestreakfl

The best way to bring your PH back up safely for now is going to be small frequent water changes. Id start with maybe 20% daily and monitor your tanks ph. I know a short term solution for bringing up KH is adding some baking soda but im not sure what the correct amount is. The reason I say small and frequent for water changes is you dont want to shock your fish by bringing PH up too fast. By doing say 20% per day youll gradually bring it up safely. Make sure you arent using straight tap water, but rather tap water treated with a water conditioner like Prime, Amquel, Aquasafe etc.

What is your normal water change routine? Frequency and %?

10. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariBNew MemberMember

I have two HOB, I changed the one filter cometely it was a month old. I rinsed it but it still had so much discolor that I just say it to the side ( I still have it), and decided to go with a new filter because my tank was cloudy. The second HOB is only 2 weeks old, I decided to rinse it 2 days after I changed the firt one so it wouldn't get so dirty. Can sit the filter in the tank, should it help? I thought the BB was in the unit it's self and cleaning the filter/changing it was fine as long as I didn't scrub the inside of the HOB unit.

11. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

12. Bluestreakfl

No, the Bacteria mainly lives on the filter media (cartridges, sponge, ceramic rings or whatever other type of media you may have) and by replacing a cartridge you threw away some of your bacteria. The best thing to do with filter cartridges is to put them in a container of some tank water and squeeze them and wring them out really good a few times. They wont look white like new, but theyre still good and will last some time. Im still using the same cartridge on 6 months now and I just occasionally take it out and squish it really good in some tank water in a container several times.

13. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariBNew MemberMember

I change water once a week unless it gets nasty from food and fish waste. I usually do 25% water change from water that I set aside days before. Some I have conditioners in and some I don't. Should I use the water without the conditioner in it, or straight tap water without sitting?

14. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariBNew MemberMember

Can I just put the old filter back in, or is it ruined because it's dry?

15. Bluestreakfl

Your old filter cartridge is not going to have any live bacteria on it by now. Also, never use plain tap water, always tap water that has been treated with a conditioner. The chlorine in tap water can kill your bacteria, as well as plants and fish.

16. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariBNew MemberMember

So I will do daily water changes testing the water befor each 20% change. How long will I have to do this?

17. Bluestreakfl

It just depends on how long it takes your tank to stabilize. Maybe a week? Also check your Gh/Kh after changes too to see if your KH comes back up.

18. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariBNew MemberMember

YNitrate 5.0, Nitrite .25, Ph 6.6, Ammonia .25. Should I still do daily water changes or just keep testing the water? Should I add something for Ammonia or just keep testing it and dose my water if it gets higher?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  19. Bluestreakfl

Id still do water changes daily for 2-3 more days just to be safe.

20. OP
    OP
    MariB

MariBNew MemberMember

Now my nitrates and nitrite are 0, my Ph is 7.4, my ammonia is 1.0, and my tank is cloudy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice