Ph >5.0???

Discussion in 'pH' started by sloogan, Apr 8, 2017.

1. s

sloogan New Member Member

Hello! I've recently (2 weeks ago) set up a 40g breeder tank with 3 tiger gouramis 3 opal gouramis and some small tetras. I felt as if i was cycling my tank successfully until i tested for ph today and it was lighter than any color on the chart i tested again to make sure it wasn't a false test. I have some pieces of driftwood in the tank and had read about tannis, i'm 100% sure it has nothing to do with that. The tank is moderately planted with a well rinsed pool filter sand top layer and a Seachem flourite substrate on the bottom. I do 30%-45% water changes every other day. I have an aquaclear 70 HOB filter running bio-max, Carbon also a home made top mount sump from a gardening bucket with lava rock for media and an activated charcoal bag in the sump as well. My ammonia level are less than 0.05. I havn't added any Ph Up or Ph Down yet but bought it just in case. None of the fish seem distressed and all are eating and swimming perfectly fine.

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

3. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Ph up and Down mostly just causes ph swings, which can be dangerous and even kill fish. I would do the crushed coral method like Mike said up there instead. May I ask what test you used to test your PH? Also have you tested Kh and GH, they come as separate liquid water tests from the main test, this will help give you a bigger picture of your tank water hardness.

4. OP
    OP
    s

I haven't tested for either Kh or GH. I used the API kit. I will probably return the Ph Up and Ph Down tomorrow i was worried and forgot about this forum. I added ammonia neutralizer roughly 4 days ago but have done 2 water changes since then so i'm assuming that would have diluted any Ph issue in correlation with that, but i'm not sure.

@clk89 would this be ideal, i see it has a natural Ph altering effect on the package. Also is it safe to assume since the ph has dipped so low most if not all beneficial bacteria has perished?

Amazon.com : CaribSea Aragonite Aquarium Sand, 10 lbs. : Aquarium Decor Gravel : Pet Supplies

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  5. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know much about that sand. It seems like it is just sand from the description and may not do much for your PH issue in the long run, but perhaps someone else has more experience with that specific product. You are correct that too low of a PH and KH can cause your bacteria to not be able to produce, you may lose a cycle, have mini cycles, or not be able to cycle in the first place.

Has your PH always been this low or did it change? What kind of ammonia neutralizer did you use? I'm wondering if that had any sort of effect on it.

6. AllieSten

AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

What is your tap water pH?

7. OP
    OP
    s

My tap water is between 7.4 and 7.6 couldn't give you a definitive number but thats what it tested for. I tested my water 2 days ago (how irresponsible of me) and it was roughly between 7.0 and 6.8, i don't quite remember but it could've been lower or higher. The ammonia netralizer is Aqueon branded and turns it into ammonium (obviously). My LFS unfortunately doesn't carry any crushed coral so i'll probably have to order. I'm just worried for my fish, they are doing wonderful but, 5.0 ph can't be good...

As crazy as it might sound, could i possibly dose my tank with baking soda. I know it's used in chemistry to neutralize any acids. I just don't know how safe it is for fish.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2017
  8. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

It's safe for fish but it's temporary. Crushed coral or cuttlebone is the best way to raise pH and KH in the aquarium.

9. AllieSten

You can get cuttlebone in the bird or reptile section of the pet store. You can also use just regular sea shells. You could just drop them into your tank, or crush them and put them into your filter. Your pH being that low is not good for the fish. It is probably because you have "soft" water. You will need to get a gh/kH water test kit to check your mineral content in your tap water. Then you can properly diagnose why your pH crashed.

I just had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. Soft water, pH crashed, nitrogen cycle lost. Added crushed coral to my tank (in my filter) and had to re-do my cycle. I used Seachem Prime and Stability and everything was back to normal in 7 days. pH included. Has remained stable at 7.6 ever since.

10. OP
    OP
    s

Found some crushed aragonite and put it into 2 filter media nylon bags and put it into my sump. Literally overnight the ph jumped to 7.4-7.8

11. AllieSten

It's amazing isn't it? Just keep an eye on it over the next few days. If it goes too high, I would probably take some of the aragonite out, but it should level off. That's my experience anyways. Also keep an eye on your cycle. It set mine back. Although I did recover pretty quickly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice