Pfs Vs. Play Sand

2006fuzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm looking for a cheap, tan colored sand to add to my 75g tank. So my question becomes what color is PFS generally? white or more tan colored? I know in the end it's gonna depend on the brand of sand itself; I'm looking into the AquaQuartz #20 sand . If anyone has used this, I'd love to see what color it turned out to be. My other issue is, this sand is going to run me 14$ per 20 lbs. Close to half the price of PetSmart aquarium sand but still pricey. There is a local pool shop I was thinking of looking into, but I wanted to hear first hand.

What color would you say PFS is generally; white or tan?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HTH PFS is light tan. I got a bag from Ace Hardware for $13/50lb.

I would strongly recommend staying away from play sand. The bag of Quikrete play sand had tons of dust and even after washing, it coated everything in the tank with fine dust sand particles. It took forever to settle if it was disturbed in the tank.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
PFS is light brown. You can also look at going to a store that sells spa equipment and call them and see how much a 50 lb bag will go for. I think they might go just around $10 a bag.

Like @DarkOne said, stay way from the play sand. We had a member here that got it and it was the wrong type. Had some kind is chemical that she didn’t know and fish were dying like crazy.

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My experiance was actually the opposite, the PFS killed my tank, while I used quickrete playsand for four years with no trouble. It does take FOREVER to wash out though due to the dust and clay. I spent like an hour doing enough for a 29, but I never had to mess with it again and there was zero clouding. It also only cost $2.50! However, there is differences in playsand based on location, I am in Ohio and our bagged sand is a clean creamy tan. Elsewhere it may be more stoney, or darker.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
PFS has one very important advantage above other types of sand.
It is "designed" to stay open (letting water / oxygen penetrate).

NLindsey921

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had play sand in my 29 and went to switch it for pfs and anything below the top 2 millimeters was black and it smelled like sewage. I've only had the pfs for a couple days but so far I am liking it better.

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Why play sand? I used this, it even mentions for use in aquarium.

It is so clean, I didn't wash it. My apistos love it. You can see the fine sand grains coming out through their gills when they pick up food from the sand

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tight sand beds do require aerating to stay healthy. With the playsand I had fiddler crabs that rooted around, and then I would run my fingers through it during water changes to mix it up. I have a small colony of trumpet snails in my freshwater tank that has sugar sand that do it for me so I never have to worry about it.

2006fuzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I did end up goign with the PFS, and I have to say. It has been by far the easiest sand to clean and it sand right to the bottom without even clouding my water. It is lighter then I would've liked, but I think it'll do just fine for the theme I had in mind for this tank

Baba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I found playsand too compact even with hundreds of MTS in it. I like my PFS I have now way better.
I think you made a good choice using PFS.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom