Petstores aggravate me

1. Mystic54 Member Member

So I went to my LFS to get some plants for my tank. I found a bunch of different types of plants and there were two that stuck out to me in particular. One was wisteria, the other green hedge. Well I decided to try out green hedge (since it looked very lush and green) and then found out later thank to the internet that its not a real aquarium plant. :;fru
    And the guy who worked there even told me the necessary care for it and that it would do great in my tank.

2. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

:( Yup. I hate pet stores. I always have to go to the store, see what I like, write it down, come back home and research, and then go back. :mad: Such a pain!

I would definitely go back there with your research and demand a refund!

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Mystic. Hate that you got the run around so to speak from your LFS. I would at least ask for an exchange if they don't give refunds.
    Ken

4. click Well Known Member Member

Some pet stores are really not into fish, like my local PetSmart, they have a so called aquarium plant section, but they don't really sell plants, is more like snails on sticks (yeah, that's how many snails they have on the water plants). The plants are in a horrible state, 75% of them dead or entirely eaten by snails. I should take a pic sometimes, you would be amazed. Luckily the fish are in a better shape with the occasional dead fish displayed here and there.

I had better experiences with specialized fish stores, like my local Big Als where all they sell is aquarium and pond products. Employees tend to be more educated, and when it happens that they don't know the proper answer to a question, they just call someone more knowledgeable to answer and so far I have no complains other than their prices (a tiny crystal red shrimp $9.99...ouch).

5. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Most pet stores are in it for sale rather than giving good info and advice to their customers. I hate it too. Sorry you had to go through that. :(

6. Mystic54 Member Member

I knew I should have just gotten the wisteria, but it looked a little yellow to me. So I went with a plant I'm unfamiliar with and it turns out to be useless. I only paid $3 for the bundle. This LFS store I go to is privately owned so they usually are a little more knowledgeable than the more common fish stores. They disappointed me this time.
    Thanks for all the responses!

7. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Sadly, this is true. That's why it's on us as the hobbyist to research before buying.

Keep in mind that they may not know what they are selling, and may have given you advice just pertaining to basic plant care. Having been in charge of FW ordering for a LFS, I can tell you that you get a list from the supplier with a bunch of common names and you have to do your best to make sense of it when doing the ordering. I've seen common names for some of the fish and plants that didn't even show up on Google, so sometimes it's just a stab in the dark and you try it out to see what it is. We can't expect LFS employees or even owners to know everything. It's still our responsibility as hobbyists to research. JMHO. :)