PetSmart - yay? nay? hay?

Betafish305ca

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Anyone here like PetSmart here in Canada, or go to one?
(Speciffically in Ontario if there is anyone)

Cause that's were I've gotten all my fish so far

DrGueedo

Reaction score
Well i've gone to pet smart and from what I heard it really depends from store to store. So you should look around at the different tank and see if any fish looks sick or in bad shape. That should give you an answer....hopefully.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I buy fish from everywhere....I know my tanks are well taken care of, and I can help other fish recover from things...the most important thing is a qt tank for all new fish in case they are sick, and don't put fish in tanks that they don't belong..whether it be size of fish for size of tank , or an aggressive fish with submissive babies....education and research no matter where you buy fish, is the utmost importance ......

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
navyscuba said:
Shawnie I back you up.
finally! now stack my wood ;D okey:

being serious tho ive got fish from everywhere..even walmart...using your fish skillz is best

Amanda

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I too have fish from all over, I have quite a few from Wal-Mart, Petsmart, LFS, other members on this site & even a few rescues. Really depends on the store & your own tanks.

navyscuba

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Shawnie said:
finally! now stack my wood ;D okey:

being serious tho ive got fish from everywhere..even walmart...using your fish skillz is best
BONFIRE.

OP
B

Betafish305ca

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
have you ever goteen fish from 'sketchy' places and been surprised about how well they did?

Peffico

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Betafish305ca said:
have you ever goteen fish from 'sketchy' places and been surprised about how well they did?
I got all my pictus catfish from Walmart and they do splendid. Also I rescued a few fiddlers from there. 8 fiddlers doing great 6 have molted.

Most of my problems came from petco. I bought 5 black neon teras when I fist started fish keeping. Shame they had neon tetra disease. The fallout from that was massive. Since my landlords disapproved on any more tanks I was forced to not have a quarantine. In the end all 5 tetras bit the dust, 2 albino zebra danios, and my first red tail shark.

Weird how a place known for crappy fish keeping hasn't steered me wrong while a national chain on fish selling has dontcha think?

navyscuba

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I was you I get a plastic container about 3 to 5 gals and put a sponge filter no gravel or nothing fancy and put it next to your bed and QT the fish there. Don't ask don't tell. It works.

lynnie

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have to say I love petsmart. I live 3 hours from the closest one and I bought a 110 aqua filter. got all the way home was putting it together and the u tube was missing, called store. after a few transfers, I told the girl to take a u tube out of another kit and ship it out to me. well 2 days later to my supprise she sent a whole new filter free of charge. I was so impressed. so now I will do all my shopping there.

kelsangdol

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
nay at the petsmart in my area. Their fishes are sick and dying, the employees pick out the floating or dying and throw them away in a bag.
The Petco is better though

click

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I say depends on the store. I have 2 PetsMart I usually go to. One has clean tanks and apparently healthy fish. But I can't go near the plants tank...full of snails. The other has sick fish (my guppies bought from them had camallanus and I'm still treating one of them). Every time I go to that store there's a couple of dead fish somewhere or the gold fish tanks are so overcrouded that it makes you cry ( I know they are feeder gold fish but they could be treated better).

What I like about PetsMart is that they have really good sales on equipment sometimes and they have an excellent return policy. But I buy all my fish and plants from Big Al's now.

bruiser

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey, my nearest Petsmart is about 40 minutes away, I buy all my supplies and equipment there due to the amount I can save compared to my LFS, But I choose not to buy my fish there, they seem to have a serious lack of maintenance and knowledge. Now that I'm more research oriented before hand, its not so much of a big deal, but they had given me some really bad advise when I was first starting out.. As much my fault as there's, but they should take it upon themselves to provide accurate and correct information.

New Threads