Petsmart what are you thinking?!

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I made my first ever stop into a local Petsmart today and let me start by saying my Petco blows em out of the water. What the heck are they thinking at Petsmart??? I was literally reading on the labels right NEXT to each other:

Clown Loach
Max size 6-8"
Tank requirements-10 gallon+

WHAT??

But that wasn't all lol

Red bellied Pacu for sale in the SAME TANK as Opaline Gourami?!

Not done yet....

Emerald, Spotted, and Albino Cories
Max size 2"
Tank requirements 1 gallon+

ONE GALLON!!

I had to do a double take because I thought the zero fell off or something.

At this point the peppy little associate walked up to me and asked "Hi, can I help you?"

I replied "Yes, I think you should bag all these fish up and send em back cause you guys have no idea what you're doing" and walked out.

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
well technically you would want to give each cory more than one gallon ;D

but seriously, that is rediculously bad info

were the shelves stocked full of those little 1 gallon betta bowls?

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh yea they had the whole assortment of coffee mug size fish tanks.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Aw poor Peppy associate, Don't take it out on them! Some of them just want a job >__< Take it out on Petsmart by not buying Anything!

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My wife bought 2 cans of cat food for 80 cents....I said we spent too much.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
blkdeath75 said:
My wife bought 2 cans of cat food for 80 cents....I said we spent too much.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was browsing through the selection at petsmart a while back for a good bottom feeder and I came across a very attractive little catfish and decided to read the requirements...

max size: 12"+

tank size:20 gallon+

I left without a bottom feeder

trailblazer295

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was just in a petsmart the other day looking for some pond chemicals because I was in the area. Saw some type of cory and same thing 1 gallon+ each, I was shocked and did the double take as well.

konstargirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh wow! That's why Idon't shop at metsmart nor petco as often..

FishHobbiest

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Now they even have the convieniant fish care packets with all of the information you need lol i picked one up and i about died of shock from the things they had in there

KristinAnn

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was in there because I needed a product quick and they were the only ones around who carried it. There was a family in there, a mom and dad and two daughters. They had a five gallon tank and had had four guppies, one had died. They came in asking if adding one more to get back up to four would be ok.
Sales associate: "Well, it's kinda full, but you should be okay if you do water changes more often. Like every 3 weeks or so."
Every three weeks or so is "more often" for a "crowded" tank?!? What are you telling customers who don't have crowded tanks, every two months??

The sales associate left to go check something, I turned, told the woman about ammonia, and that she should be doing 25% every week, and that she should get a gravel siphon and it would take five minutes a week and would save a lot of trouble and fish. She looked rather disgusted with me.
Isn't it odd how when people don't know what is the right answer, they automatically believe the one that is more appealing to them?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are a business. They are in it for the money, like every other big business. And when dealing with live creatures, it makes much more business sense to not really inform your customers about all the ins and outs of keeping those pets. This keeps them coming back for more pets, more products, more services.

Most pet store workers are not going to say "NO DONT SPEND X dollars on that bottle of (enter gimmicky product here)!"

And most pet store workers, especially in chain stores, are not even avid aquarists. So obviously they aren't oging to give the best advice, it's just too bad that people get the impression that the LFS worker has the scoop on what is best for them, when in reality, the LFS worker's job is to do what is best for the company that keeps them employed.

I've seen the pacus in Petsmart, and I'm not really that shocked. If they put the real tank requirements for these guys, then people would be less inclined to buy them.

Many beginning fish keepers walk out of the pet store with a fish tank in one hand and a bag of fish in the other. In general, they don't want to hear that they need to wait 6-8 weeks looking at an fishless tank with a stinky piece of shrimp sitting in it. The one saving grace to this is TSS, at least now there is a product that really cycles a new tank quickly, its just a matter of when will this be available in the major pet store chains.

Don't get me wrong, not all LFS are this way, many locally owned small LFS employees are awesome, and will steer customers the right way. These guys are truly in it for the love of the hobby, and for that reason I don't mind paying a little extra to help support them.

taylorbrettj

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey easy now, I'm a PetSmart associate

Seriously though. You guys can't imagine how difficult it is trying to work somewhere that has information and coworkers contradicting what I know to be correct information. :/

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I LOVE your response to the associate, BD!

We were in our PM yesterday for frozen bloodworms. The associate was selling these people 5 3-spot gouramis and 5 tiger barbs. I asked the customer what size tank he was putting the fish in and he told me 75 gallon. I let him know there would more than likely be issues with that many gouramis in the same tank. I advised him to only get two and that tiger barbs love to nip fins of long-finned fish and he might be better off not having them in the same tank.

The associate GLARED at me and told him semi-aggressive fish are fine together. I advised him to google the species he's interested in, of course I let him know about Fishlore. Then I proceeded to tell the associate to please research the fish she was selling since there are lives involved and I walked away.

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
U go BB!!!!!!!

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yay BB! It's not an easy thing to speak up in public, hooray for those of you that do!

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, it's pretty awful. good for you for saying something. I have sworn off of ever buying any fish from them. Not only do they give horrible information... the fish I got from them came with ICH and callamus worms. AWFUL. Poor fishies.

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My only option is petsmart and they seem to know what they ar doing, (fortunately). I actually was able to ask the two people running the fish department to help me with sexing a juvie female green terror this weekend and they knew what to look for, (rounded fin, less coloration).

As far as I know they have accurate tank sizes, although they will still let people walk out with a 10 gallon and three goldfish. Because in the end they are a business.

I guess I just got lucky and ended up with one of the good ones.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I go to Petco quite a bit and not Petsmart and the majority of their employees are pretty smart as well as keep fish of their own.

You have to remember, people will say anything when they want their way so it's not only the LFS's fault when you see em walking out with a 10 gallon and bag full of fish. If the shopper wants it they're gonna buy it no matter what the employees tell em.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads