Petsmart trip...

1. PythonTheBetta Member Member

I went to a Petsmart location I haven't been to before, the conditions I saw were appalling. I had never seen anything this horrible first-hand before today. You couldn't even tell the males from the females, partly from fin clamping and also some fin rot i'm sure. Their fins were just strings, no shape to them at all. There was a gorgeous yellow one that caught my eye, partly because of the color but mostly because it was floating straight up and down, COMPLETELY VERTICAL! I've never ever seen this or heard of this before, and, needless to say, it wasn't moving. And then there were the back shelf bettas, the ones not proudly displayed in the front of the store. The water in one cup was yellow. The fish looked dead. (I moved this cup towards the front) Another fish was swimming amongst poop and uneaten food. I was disgusted. The ones that were still alive and able to move swam to the front of the cups, begging to be rescued, it broke my heart. If I had the time, money, and room, I'd save them all in a heartbeat.

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

How is that legal isn't that animal abuse.

3. ashleyb Member Member

I saw this at my local Petco yesterday and sent the picture to their corporate office. Every single one of these babies are covered in ich and half of them are dead. I went back today and the tank is emptied of the guppies, but now has neon tetras in the tank with the EXACT same substrate and ornaments. They weren't even rearranged, they're in the exact same place. So needless to say they just yanked the guppies and didn't treat the tank, they just threw a bunch of healthy fish into an unhealthy tank for people to bring home. It's so infuriating!! I wanted to physically assault these people. REALLY?!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Pikachu13131 Member Member

And then a person new to the hobby buys those tetras,they all die,they buy more fish they die because ich is still in their tank,and they give up.

5. ashleyb Member Member

Exactly. I spoke to a manager, who swore they treated the tank. And I was like "do you even know what ich is? You can't cure ich in 24 hours." And she looked at me like I was a nut job. I wish there was more we could do.

6. Katiec90 Member Member

We had a Petco in my town that was the same way. You couldnt actually see into the tank because they were so taken over by algae. Dead fish floating in 3s or 4s. Take some pictures and post it on their Facebook page, and some local news pages. SOMEONE will either turn it around out of fear or do a story on the abuse

7. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I'll do it if I ever go to Petco.

8. MinhMai Member Member

Ha! Treating the single tank doesn't do anything. Behind the tank wall is a centralized filtration system. All the tanks have their water running through it.

9. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Why would they not take care of their fish.they are losing more money than they make by letting them die.

10. ashleyb Member Member

Because they'll just get a new shipment every Thursday. And because fish don't bark or meow, they don't matter. They also don't pay their employees enough TO care.

11. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

And if you ask "is that normal" they just say yes and send you home with infected sick fish.

Petsmart and petsco both have their flaws. At petsmart there were dried up fish on the tank hoods. I assumed they died in the tank and were netted out and dumped on the hood then forgotten about. Idk. And at petco they had way too many goldfish in a long tank to the point that i couldnt tell if they were dead or just lethargic. And i dont like how either store handles snails. They just whack them off the glass with the net instead of gently lifting them.

12. PythonTheBetta Member Member

The goldfish tanks made me sick... they had what looked like hundreds of them shoved in a small tank, not even a long tank! they had no room to move. It looked like some had died and the others were eating them.

13. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Those are the feeder tanks, those are in most stores, even LFS, I feel bad that they aren't valued as much as the other fish, but such is life.

My PetSmart has terrible betta conditions, and their fish stock normally sucks, but my Petco is actually quite clean and well taken-care-of. Obviously the bettas aren't in the best shape, but they all look alive. They even have a saltwater section, so they must have some employee who knows what they're doing.

14. Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

I know those tanks. But the one i saw looked like fancy goldfish or maybe fantail. Or possibly very large feeder fish?

15. Airth Member Member

I recently went to Petco myself for some female bettas (almost all their bettas were healthy, thank goodness). Half of their tanks had fish absolutely blanketed in ich. On the front of the tanks they taped signs saying "Under Observation; Not For Sale". I was appalled at how bad their fish section looked.
    About 2 months ago the aquatics manager called me after I submitted an online survey for their store. I told her that not only do they not have half the fish advertised on their tank pictures but at least half the ones they do carry have ich. 2 months later and they're finally doing something about it. -.-
    I've been trying to get hired at a petsmart or Petco for a while now so that their fish department will at least have someone who knows how to care for them.

16. ashleyb Member Member

It's amazing how differently the care is in different stores. The Petco I took these pictures at is in my home town. However if I drive to a larger city 35 miles away, the Petco there is OUTSTANDING. Both of their daytime and night time managers are just amazing and very knowledgeable and genuinely care for their fish. It's so wildly different from my local store. I've never had a fish I bought in Scranton come home sick, and come to think of it none of them have died either.

I asked the night time manager if they sold a drip acclimation set, and he looked at me in amazement and said "No, and I'll tell you why. You're the only person to have asked for one in an entire year. We try to tell people about drip acclimating and they roll their eyes at us and float the bag.." He seemed so frustrated I wanted to give him a hug lol. And when I noticed a female swordtail hanging out at the bottom of a tank with clamped fins and labored breathing he was like "oh, no baby girl, don't do that!" And scooped her out of the tank. He's a sweet man.

17. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I went to pet supermarket today to pick up a new tank.i wasn't planning on buying fish ,but I was surprised on how well the tanks where being cleaned and there was no dead fish they all looked healthy.I wanted to see what they would say if asked if I could have a green spotted puffer in my freshwater community tank.He said no because they need salt in their water and they will kill other fish.I was blown away,a pet supermarket guy actually knew something about fish.They other thing that amazed me was the actually knew about the nitrogen cycle.I decided to buy some neon tetras to see if they just looked healthy or where actually well taken care of,he warned me that my tank needs to be cycled or I will have problems.The only thing he didn't seem to know was that you could buy ammonia,he thought fish-in-cycles where the only way.

18. ashleyb Member Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just saw this poor soul at Petsmart an hour away. I informed the associate who said "oh, we know. We take them out at the end of the night." She wasn't the only one with it..

19. Annie424 Well Known Member Member

Take them out and do what....?? :(

20. Airth Member Member

Went to petsmart today looking for a battery powered air pump. The fish all looked pretty good today (I came home with 6 cory cats and a pictus that I wasn't planning on but the cats were on sale for $1). I was appalled though when the girl working the tanks told a mother and her teenage son that an Oscar would be fine in a 20 gallon tank. The employee walked off and I promptly pointed out to the mother the sticker under the tank that said Oscars would reach 15" and required 40 gallons minimum. Wouldn't put an Oscar in that even. They need much more space. -.-