Petsmart Tiger Endlers?

Discussion in 'Endlers Livebearers' started by pdgmtf, Dec 6, 2012.

1. p

pdgmtf New Member Member

I went to Petsmart also. The associate there referred to them as Tiger Endlers, and said Petsmart considers them the same product. I also got two Cobra Endlers with him. On the receipt they were all listed as Cobras. It was a nice surprise. This is a quote from an article posted above, which is perhaps relevant.
    " The orange and peacock strains now often seen in the hobby are descendants from my first collection in Laguna la Malagueña. I only managed to collect a couple of specimens of the orange form during this trip. They were all on the inland portion of the Laguna. The endlers seem to have been negatively impacted by the channel’s re-opening to the ocean. "

I also saw that user Cichlidnut has posted in a different thread using the term Tiger Endler. Any more information you might have would be appreciated!

2. OP
    OP
    p

pdgmtf New Member Member

This

I have a question about the two in the top left part of the picture. The one on the bottom has a dot, the one on the top seems to have a bigger patch of black. Are they the same type? I have one from Petsmart, which they called a tiger endler. The only difference is the lower part of the tail fin is longer than top. But sold as a Cobra endler. Thanks!

3. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Tiger Endlers and Cobra Endlers are guppy hybrids.

The fish in the picture are wild type blackbars. Variation in their patterns is very normal.

4. OP
    OP
    p

pdgmtf New Member Member

Thanks Cichlidnut for your knowledge here, it really helps. So I think what I've got is a Tiger Endler and two Cobras. Here is the Tiger with one Cobra. Fish.jpg

5. C

Yes, most definitely hybrid. Still fun fish to have :)

6. OP
    OP
    p

pdgmtf New Member Member

So it is a hybrid of an Endler guppy and something else? I'm sorry if these are dumb questions. I am grateful for the responses.

7. C

It's a cross between an Endler and a Guppy.

Endlers are not the same species as guppies.

8. OP
    OP
    p

pdgmtf New Member Member

Ok. So there are multiple types of guppies that can be bred to have varieties and still be considered pure. It is only when they are bred with Endlers do they become hybrids. Are there also multiple types of Endlers? What I am asking is if the Cobra Endler is a hybrid too, does the variation between the hybrids come from both sides? Thanks again!

9. C

There are many different strains of Endler. Peacock and Blackbar are the most common.

There are tons of different guppy strains. Both the Cobra genes come from the guppy side, not the Endler side. Same with the tiger pattern. Basically they tried to blend patterns from both fish in to 1.

10. e

endlerfreak1 New Member Member

I have to black bar endlers and two crosses you can tell them apart very easily me endlers are a lot smaller than my crosses are

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice