PetSmart ticks me off

KonaBoy
So I was returning a Platy last night that had died, and while I was doing that, I told my girlfriend to go to the back and ask them for another female. I finished up my buisness and then on the way back to the tanks, I got distracted by the nets and lights Anyways, after a while, I look up and see Rosie (my girlfriend) looking ticked She apparently walked up to the fish counter and asked for a female platy. First, the lady asked Rosie how old she was! (Rosie is 19, and people always think she's younger for some reason, last summer, she was asked if she was a child at the movie theatre:;alien) Rosie said "I'm 19" and the lady asked for I.D. which Rosie didn't have, and she said "I can't sell fish to anyone under 18, but if she came back with an adult, she could" Then they asked if she had a heater and said no, but the water temp stays are 70 (which is on the low end I know for Platy's) and she said that they'd instantly die in that temperature (Yet the Fishlore profile says 65-78) I got ticked, because just a few days before when I bought the Platy's they said that they would be okay (I know not to trust store employee's, but it matched up with what I've read here, and this guy did seem knowledgeable). Rosie said "I just bought fish here last Tuesday!" and the employee shook her head and said "Try Wal-Mart" Rosie, who was already mad at PetSmart's treatment of Betta's, said this was the last straw. I won't be going back to that PetSmart unless it's an emergency. Sorry, I just wanted to vent

Shawnie
wow that's unusual with my petsmart experiences...usually they are pumping fish on ya not holding them back..either way its not fun sorry for your bad nite..venting is great for the mind tho

FL CommunityFans
I don't understand. Did you talk to them about it at all? Who purchased the fish originally? I've dealt with them nomerous times and never had an issue with them. I had a starter kit I bought (29g) that burst for no reason.. lvl, nothing on glass etc) they replaced it with no question or fuss. My daughter managed to crank her heater up in the 10 gallon some how, and managed to kill off 2 of her platys. They refunded us no problem.

Sorry you had a bad experience, and it does sound like poor customer service. I would have asked to see a manager personally.

Nags1965
wow that's unusual with my petsmart experiences...usually they are pumping fish on ya not holding them back..either way its not fun sorry for your bad nite..venting is great for the mind tho

I bought my fish.. tank.. stand.. the whole set up at petsmart and they have been nothing but nice and helpful..

I would not be happy with that kind of treatment..

Butterfly
Someone else had told me about a similar experience. Seems the store was having a problem with kids buying fish then parents were making them return them because they didn't have the means to care for them, So that's what they did was impose an age limit on animal purchases.
sorry they gave your girlfriend a problem
Carol

Nags1965
Someone else had told me about a similar experience. Seems the store was having a problem with kids buying fish then parents were making them return them because they didn't have the means to care for them, So that's what they did was impose an age limit on animal purchases.
sorry they gave your girlfriend a problem
Carol

Next time I'm in our store ill ask about an age limit. I guess perhaps I can understand if there is a problem to make some rules.. most people don't mind following the rules if the employees are nice enough to explain them with a little tact.

Butterfly
Next time I'm in our store ill ask about an age limit. I guess perhaps I can understand if there is a problem to make some rules.. most people don't mind following the rules if the employees are nice enough to explain them with a little tact.
If that were the case it would have been nicer and more professional to explain why they couldn't sell them to an apparent minor.
carol

susitna-flower
Rude behavior is not what ANY one wants to face when they are having problems. A store might have a policy, but they should also train their employees how to deal within their policies, with enough tact, that the customer is not driven away.

Feel free to vent.....aren't those things on the sides of our heads smoke stacks? A fish smack for your petsmart!

KonaBoy
I don't understand. Did you talk to them about it at all? Who purchased the fish originally?

I now understand they have a policy, but I didn't at the time, but regardless, Rosie doesn't look like she's 12. I didn't talk to anyone about it, it's their business (literally), and if they won't sell me or Rosie fish without I.D., then I won't be going back. I originally bought the fish, but Rosie was with me, and she picked them out.

COBettaCouple
I try to do as much of our shopping online because of how the stores treat their fish, especially the Bettas.

Nags1965
I have 2 places here I can buy fish and all the stuff that goes with the fish.. one is petsmart and the other petland. So far petsmart has been the best by far.. they seem to have a big turn over when it comes to employees but still yet every one seems friendly and helpful. I can't say as much for petland. the store stinks.. it reeks of just nasty order when I go in.. and people bring there dogs in and allow them to tinkle all over the stuff setting on the floor.. and no one bothers to clean it up.. its just a very nasty store..

I dunno.. I guess I'm crankie in my old age.. I just feel if people take there dogs into a pet store they should make them mind their mannors or at least clean up after them..

ack..

rant over

susitna-flower
I have 2 places here I can buy fish and all the stuff that goes with the fish.. one is petsmart and the other petland. So far petsmart has been the best by far.. they seem to have a big turn over when it comes to employees but still yet every one seems friendly and helpful. I can't say as much for petland. the store stinks.. it reeks of just nasty order when I go in.. and people bring there dogs in and allow them to tinkle all over the stuff setting on the floor.. and no one bothers to clean it up.. its just a very nasty store..

I dunno.. I guess I'm crankie in my old age.. I just feel if people take there dogs into a pet store they should make them mind their mannors or at least clean up after them..

ack..

rant over

Another cranky "old lady" I thought it was just me.

OR how about....someone brings in a BIG dog, not on a leash....it heads right for you and sticks its nose.....where noses aught not be.....I do NOT want to be accosted in a store, when all I want is fish food.....

This did happen to me, and I was so frustrated that the people weren't being made to keep their pests under control....of course people looked at me like I was a crazy old lady......

Shawnie
susitna you crack me up!!!!!!

Nags1965
susitna you crack me up!!!!!!

I think I'm gonna start a MEN O PAUSE club for crankie ladies

susitna-flower
I think I'm gonna start a MEN O PAUSE club for crankie ladies

Count me in! ops:

luna
I was cranky well before my premature menopause (I'm 27). Now I can just use it as an excuse!

On the topic at hand, though...I'd file a complaint with corporate about that kind of treatment, or at the very least the store manager. They NEED to be aware that the intolerably rude behavior of their employees is causing them to lose customers, or they'll never do anything about it.

COBettaCouple
I thought that behavior WAS corporate policy, like the mistreatment of their fish.

Angela_96
I bought my fish.. tank.. stand.. the whole set up at petsmart and they have been nothing but nice and helpful..

I would not be happy with that kind of treatment..

You must shop at the same petsmart as us... they have been great to us...
Have you tried The Aquarium on Papermill? Its the fishstore of fishstores! and there is Agrifeed on Morell RD that is wonderful too... I only buy fish from there and my supplies from petsmart

Since when though do you have to be a certain age to buy a fish?

FL CommunityFans
I now understand they have a policy, but I didn't at the time, but regardless, Rosie doesn't look like she's 12. I didn't talk to anyone about it, it's their business (literally), and if they won't sell me or Rosie fish without I.D., then I won't be going back. I originally bought the fish, but Rosie was with me, and she picked them out.

I understand. I would have just handled it differently, but I've gotten hard and not so lenient about things like that. That was just **** poor customer service, and if you feel so inclined, I'd still recommend at least calling and asking to speak with a manager and voicing your opinion. This person may have acted like that to other people, so rudely, and they haven't said anything either. A person with that nature:
A) shouldn't be working in customer service (let's face it - that's what PetSmart is)
B) shouldn't still be working there
C) should take a class on tact and manners.

Whether they had the policy or not, be talked down to like that is completely uncalled for.

Sorry, I'm getting irritated for you now =D

I'm the guy who overhears the table next to us getting a crappy steak brought out, then asks for a new one and gets told they are stuck with it.. then I end up getting involved, and taking my business elsewhere (usually anyone in ear shot does the same or starts in as well) You're there to make a purchase for whatever... they are there to oblige you, and if not able to assist you, then explain so politely and not be an arse.

... wife just asked why I was banging on the keys so hard.. guess that's my cue to step off the forums a bit =D

ThisGuy
Another cranky "old lady" I thought it was just me.

OR how about....someone brings in a BIG dog, not on a leash....it heads right for you and sticks its nose.....where noses aught not be.....I do NOT want to be accosted in a store, when all I want is fish food.....

This did happen to me, and I was so frustrated that the people weren't being made to keep their pests under control....of course people looked at me like I was a crazy old lady......

I always take my Golden retriever to the pet store, she stays on her leash...

and you meant pets not pests right? puppy's are cute

Angela_96
I always take my Golden retriever to the pet store, she stays on her leash...

and you meant pets not pests right? puppy's are cute

I think the only time we complained about the dogs/cats being in the store was when we were looking at tanks and someone let their dog poop in the middle of the store floor and didn't clean it up... my husband stepped in it!
I actully took my 6 year old when he got released from the hospital after having pnemonia to petsmart to cheer him up on a day when they had dogs on leashes training them and part of it was to get people to pet them and for the dogs not to jump on people, it really cheered him up... I think though the fish did a job cheering him up too... He was really sick and needed a pick me up..

beginnerfishlover
Well, my PetSmart was okay...but the advice wasn't that good. The worker said that all of the fish they sold could be put together and I was like "WHAT!?!?" because I had already read about a couple of fish that they had that are pretty aggressive. But, it wasn't anything terrible. And all the fish looked OK. I really love my Petland, though. They have a much better selection of freshwater and saltwater fish (cute little Nemo's ) and the worker there was so helpful. She knew practically everything about fish! I really do like it there. *sigh...*

Angela_96
My only complaint about petland is that they support puppy mills. I grew up in a town where they had a petland and my parents never let me go in petland for that reason and I am 30 they . I don't have experience w/ the fish aspect of the store... But I am sure that every town has their good fish stores and bad ones...out petsmart has only one employee that I trust getting out fish for me and that she can pick healthy fish.. advice? well I research the fish and then I go buy from there I just don't trust their workers... I have my 2 private lfs that I get my advice from and I trust their advice...

Allie
Count me in! ops:
I'll join.
If a dog sniffed me in the crotch... I'd tell the people to keep their dog on a leash. Nothing worse than a jumpy dog.

Allie
I was cranky well before my premature menopause (I'm 27). Now I can just use it as an excuse!
Me too, lol. Isn't fun? okey:

luna
>

Shaina
My Petsmart...well the fish are great and I've never had a problem acclimating them so far...haven't lost a single fish, including Otos, Neons, Shrimp, and Corys. On the other hand, they treat their bettas like every other store around here (awful), and employee knowledge is very touch and go. I know of one fish dept manager here that's really good. The rest? Well let's just say thank God I have this forum to give me the knowledge I need before I set foot in those doors.

They also have a no questions asked 14 day return policy. I haven't used it yet, but it's nice to know it's there. My LFS has the same policy, but you need to bring a sample of water so they can test it and help you correct the problem before adding more fish.

Petland on the other hand is just evil. Out of desperation I bought 2 Otos there because I couldn't find them anywhere else, and I tried to return them but I was a few hours past the 48 hr policy, so they wouldn't replace them. They also sell puppy mill puppies, though they will straight out lie to you if you ask where their dogs come from, if that 'little' cough is something to worry about, etc. At this point I don't care if they are the world's only carrier of a fish I really want, I'm not buying anything from them

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
russ757
Replies
Views
nikm128
Replies
Views
Butterfly
Replies
Views