Petsmart Tank Kit Sale

Islandvic
Petsmart has the following on sale.....

Earn 1.5x points rewards through 5/27

Sales I think are good through 6/2, but double check please.

50% Off: Top Fin "Essentials Starter Kit" sizes 5.5-10-20-29-37-55 gallons. Heater, Silentstream filter, LED and lid included.

$249 Marineland 75 gallon "Majesty Ensemble", glass lid, LED and stand included. (buy online and save extra 5% on this particular tank)

$185 Marineland 60 gallon"Heartland Ensemble", glass lid, LED and stand included (buy online and save extra 5% on this particular tank)

Coradee
Giving this a bump up for members who may not have seen it yet.

Islandvic
I went ahead and got the 55 gallon kit for $99.

I did a leak test for 6 hours yesterday and it passed .

Now I have to build a stand/cabinet for it.

When I do, I will post a build thread on it.

Building a new cabinet will be the easy part.

The harder part is figuring out how to stock it!!

Our first tank was the 20 gallon Top Fin starter kit purchased February 2018. I've had zero problems with it. The heater, LED's built into the lid and filter all work great. The 20 gallon Silentstream filter was re-homed to a 10 gallon and works well for that application.

jonnyroton
I am debating the 75 Gallon. It is a great price for the tank and stand with glass top. Waiting to here from my LFS to see what price they come up with. Some of the reviews talk about the quality so I was a little hesitant. Anyone have experience with the Marineland tanks?

Harguess
I am debating the 75 Gallon. It is a great price for the tank and stand with glass top. Waiting to here from my LFS to see what price they come up with. Some of the reviews talk about the quality so I was a little hesitant. Anyone have experience with the Marineland tanks?
I have 2 of the 60 gallons Marineland tanks. I’ve had one for 2.5 years and the other for about 6 months. I have never had an issue with either one. I love them.

ystrout
In my opinion, petsmart is terrible in the fish industry EXCEPT their tanks.

They have amazing prices. I got my 20 gallon long tank for like $20 four years ago, and got my 75 gallon ensemble (tank, stand, lights) for $300 a year ago.

I have never had a problem with the tanks or lids. The lights are low quality and only seem to last a year before burning out. The stand on the 75 gallon tank was made using cheap wood, but it is surprisingly very nice. It looks great and all the hinges work well.

rmurray
I purchased my 75gal topfin 2 years ago. The glass is lower quality and has a slight green hue but it’s not that bad. The first tank had a hairline crack I didn’t notice till I placed it on the stand with the light on. So the switched it out with zero problems. Also they will randomly do some pretty good in store sales. Last week I got an fx6 for $240 which was a great deal.

Crazycoryfishlady
Hmmm.... Guess a 37 is happy medium between a 40 breeder and another 20 long huh.
Darn you! Enabling MTS in all of us!!

Ulu
The lights will last if you waterproof the wiring. The LEDs leak where the wires go in.

Krazy Glue or clear PVC glue or model car glue will work. Just one drop at each wire.

Prop the lid on end and do all the left sides. When it dries a bit, turn and do the rights.
Let it cure a day before replacement for best results.

Islandvic
jonnyroton , we bought the same Marineland 75 gallon ensemble last year when it was on sale.

I have had zero issues with the tank, stand, glass lid or the light.

Although none of the cabinet/stands at Petsmart or Petco have excellent build quality, the Marineland 75 gallon stand doesn't use MDF or melamine in the load bearing structure. The cabinet doors might be melamine though.

It's made of plywood and pine. Surprisingly, plywood can distribute and support weight very well.

On mine, I reinforced the inside corners though and made some shelves.

All the other tank/stand combo's use MDF, melamine or a combination of both.

The LED light bar is only 36" and the stock one is not very bright.

For some reason, mine came with the 36in "Advanced" LED bar instead that is brighter and has built in electronic timers for the white and the blue lights.

I use the glass lids and the LED bar doesn't get wet, so I have had no issues with it.

I added a 2nd LED light bar, a Beamswork EA series with the optional timer.

Also, from what I recall, I believe the bottom glass is tempered.

Also, the FX4 is $199 and FX6 is $249 through Jun 2nd, in-store only, at Petsmart.

1.5x the rewards points also on all purchases

YATT
Man, now or never. Is the 75 gallon trustworthy is my only worry.

jonnyroton
Islandvic thank you for the detailed review. I want plants so was planning on another light anyway . I’m thinking I may just go ahead and do it. $250 seems like a pretty good deal for tank/stand and glass top. I am probably goi g to go with the aqua clear 110 and 2 sponge filters. Hmmmm dang MTS

Islandvic
YATT , It has been trustworthy for us the past year.

Pick one up and the FX4/6.

If you get a 75g, ask for a new 75g/stand still shrink wrapped on a pallet from the racks.

Each Petsmart received multiple 75g's for the sale. So don't settle for the floor model.

YATT
YATT , It has been trustworthy for us the past year.

Pick one up and the FX4/6.

If you get a 75g, ask for a new 75g/stand still shrink wrapped on a pallet from the racks.

Each Petsmart received multiple 75g's for the sale. So don't settle for the floor model.

Good tip. Maybe I need to just jump in.

Geoff
YATT
Yes. Go now. Post pics.

Living vicariously huh!? I’ll call the local one tomorrow and see if they have some shrink wrapped ones in the back so I can order online. I wanted to do fancy tank with sump etc, but maybe at this price I’ll make do. (250 tank and $250 FX6 I should jump in). If I want to sell and do fancy I can dump for $200.

Geoff
Living vicariously huh!? I’ll call the local one tomorrow and see if they have some shrink wrapped ones in the back so I can order online. I wanted to do fancy tank with sump etc, but maybe at this price I’ll make do. (250 tank and $250 FX6 I should jump in). If I want to sell and do fancy I can dump for $200.

Lol I sure am. I’m waiting to refinish my basement before I jump in on a big tank (or tanks ).

YATT
Lol I sure am. I’m waiting to refinish my basement before I jump in on a big tank (or tanks ).

Here, hold me beer and credit card. Be right back!

I do miss basements. Texas sucks in that regard.

ystrout
Man, now or never. Is the 75 gallon trustworthy is my only worry.

The 75G has worked for me without issue for a year.

The 20G (same brand) has worked for 4 years without issue.

Dedife
Thank you!!!

I have been watching for that 10-gallon kit to go on sale to have for a QT/hospital tank. $32...great deal for tank/lights/filter/heater!

Ulu
I have those in-hood LEDs on an A q u e o n, and I saved the lights on that one by putting a 1/8" Lexan plastic lid under the LED hood. That keeps 99% of the moisture off the LEDs, which is the main issue. I eventually added 3 more LED lamps to that hood from a used 10 gallon lid that had lost one lamp to moisture. I glued all the wires at that point & it's still going on my hard/brackish tank with no lamp failures.

I notice that the new hoods have better molding of the plastic lamps, but they will still suck moisture when you shut off the warm lamps. As they cool, air pressure in the lamp drops. This sucks in water! Simple physics, but the electricians building these hoods don't get it yet.

gsmiller
I purchased the Mnrineland Majesty Ensamble from PetSmart last month for $284.99 and I’m very satisfied. The quality is far better than the 20 gallon Aqueon aquarium I purchased from PetCo. I replaced the included 36” light with the 48” Finnex Planted+. (Tank is still being stocked)

509773-ddd366b004830b66b5fc11db8976a568.jpg

Ulu
I don't know **** is going on with this forums restricted words but I can type Marineland or Finnex or Eheim or Fluval or PetSmart, and the system removes the capital letters, but when I try to type A q u e o n the system Blots it out.

KnownSyntax
Seems like all of the stores within my whole state (minus driving 3 hours away one way) got cleaned out within the first day of this sale. Was hoping that it would last longer than a few days, but what can you expect.

I’ve seen them do this here and there, curious on if it’s one some type of timeline or when they just become overstocked with tanks and those combo units and need to get their inventory out.

75g Marineland Majesty Ensemble is a steal for $250, although I’ve seen plenty of them with horrible reviews, leaks after a year or two, etc. Their warranty is great, but the downfall is that if the leak is at the bottom of the tank the kit they mail you won’t work unless you drain the whole thing anyways.

I’ve had the 55 gallon Top Fin tank which was solid, and way more solid feeling with a better silicone job than any Tetra tank I’ve seen. For $100, it’s also 100% worth it if you can pick up a nice stand (also on sale at Petco right now) for the solid metal one or get a particle board one and reinforce it.

Islandvic
KnownSyntax , it seemed it was the opposite in my town.

None of the 75 gallon Marineland ensembles were sold. They still had the 1 floor model and 3 shrink wrapped on pallets up on the back storage racks.

I hope my 75 gallon doesn't leak like the one's you're talking about! What kind of "kit" does Marineland send to fix the leak?

I think I bought the only Top Fin 55 gallon they had, and they still had 37g and other size tanks left. The 20 gallon tanks were gone though, which are a steal for $49 with what comes in them.

I did pick up the 5.5g for $20. I threw in a 50 watt heater I already had, and a sponge and small bag of media both already cycled, I lieu of the filter's cartridge. Also had a spare Mingdak submersible blue LED light and a timer, so it went in as well.

My kids painted the back and right side glass w/ acrylic paint and they are having fun with their own tank.

Islandvic
Did anyone pick up a new tank while on sale?

KnownSyntax
KnownSyntax , it seemed it was the opposite in my town.

None of the 75 gallon Marineland ensembles were sold. They still had the 1 floor model and 3 shrink wrapped on pallets up on the back storage racks.

I hope my 75 gallon doesn't leak like the one's you're talking about! What kind of "kit" does Marineland send to fix the leak?

Lucky, seems like for me there are way more fish keepers who leap at a good deal (although now I see a stupid amount of Craigslist brand new for above or at retail price so what a joke.

The kit they send you is some fast curing silicone that works when it doesn’t get wet for 24 hours (so a leak near the top or middle can work if you can drain the tank and get a filter that can run sucking up a good distance. Otherwise if it’s at the bottom you have to fully drain it. They only really send you a check if the glass breaks (cracks don’t count). If it leaks they just keep sending you this same silicone kit to fix it yourself only at the leak point and not the whole silicone for that area.

Amcdonald58
I picked up the 5 gallon kit. I was going to make my own kit but couldn't pass up the sale. So far pretty happy with it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
07jbaker
Replies
Views
tiffani
Replies
Views
Molly105
Replies
Views