Petsmart Rams Ich

1. N

Nicholas Graham Valued Member Member

Got a couple blue Rams from PetSmart. Had ich within a couple days. In their own tank, it was a failed shrimp tank. I've been increasing the temp gradually and adding aquarium salt gradually. To a target of around 85 degrees and somewhere close to 1 tsp/g of salt. Hope they make it thru. Does anyone have any advice?

2. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

If there in quarantine, your already doing the right thing. I'd forget the salt and get the temperature up to 86 . That alone will take care of your problem. Once its up to 86 do small daily gravel vacuums to pick up the ich that has fallen off.

3. OP
    OP
    N

Thanks

4. OP
    OP
    N

Looking better already. How long should I keep the temp up? Do I need to remove all of the white ich pieces? I see them on the glass around the bottom...
    c9985a8869c6bc5cc20b8528fcb33419.jpg

5. Dave125g

2-3 days after there's no ich left on them you can start bringing the temp back down. Try to remove as much dead ich as you can.

6. OP
    OP
    N

Ugh... I saw the temp creep up to 88-89 and I bumped it down a small amount and today saw ich again. Looked at temp said 85. So cranked it back up to where it was before. Hopefully they're tough lil buggers.

7. Dave125g

There's some strains of ich that's actually medication resistant. The only way to treat it is with heat. Fear not tho, German rams like warm water. 86 is only a few degrees above there temperature range. Ich will not survive long in that temperature.