Petsmart Problems

1. WolfPack21 Member Member

Hi Everyone, I really really don't understand petsmart. In the two major cities that I have lived in all of their fish seem to have Ich and whatever labels they have about their size, needs, ect are incorrect. How can a store do this?

Also they sold me 3 "red tail tinfoil barbs," but I found out that they are really tinfoil barbs because of the red on their dorsal fin. This store makes me very angry and it is hard to find red red tail tinfoils?

2. kelsangdol Member Member

Petsmart is a chain pet store. Most chains only care about $$$ not quality or care of their live animals :(

3. David C Well Known Member Member

Our PetSmart here is actually pretty nice, PetCo on the other hand....

kelsangdol had it right though, they all care about the money and that's why I do my best to support my locally owned shops. Places that actually care about the animals and not just the bottom line.

Dave

4. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I live in Philly and so far have been unable to find a locally owned fish shop. I have shopped at petsmart and petco. We really have to remember that it is just a business for most of the chain stores. It is totally up to us to do our research, thoroughly check out the tanks, give the fish a good look over before buying. Even with all of that there is no guarantee. Thats one of the reasons that I love this forum. Take your time and try really hard not to let them talk you into buying anything that you are not already prepared for. If you feel like they ripped you off, go back and speak with a manager, they might try to resolve it for you. Good Luck

5. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I went to petsmart today and it was sad, all the fish had ich. Every little tank, every fish had ich! I wanted to take a bunch of anti ich medicine and treat the poor fish. Then I went to petco and it was just as bad. All the fish had ich except for the saltwater fish and they all looked starved. I hate chain stores!

6. mosin360 Well Known Member Member

I went to the Petco in my town and wasn't impressed. I got two locally owned stores, one being a general with all types of pets and another just for fish. So, I support my locally owned stores. Don't hurt that they are a lot closer to my house also.

:D

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Reds

You should really take a venture down RT 42 into Jersey and visit "The Aquarium Center" . It's just off Rt 42 on Blackwood-Clementon Rd ( I *think* it is Exit 8 and the sign *may* say Blackwood-Clementon Rd or Camden County College). At the bottom of the ramp make a left and it's probably about a mile up the road on the left. The center actually sits back off the road a quite a bit but there is a video store closer to the road where you can turn into the center. It should only be about 30 minutes from where you live.

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

9. throwingutah Initiate Member

Our Petsmarts are okay. The one in the west end of Richmond is actually pretty decent - the guys there recognize my son when we come in, and talk to him about his fish.

10. willb Initiate Member

Reds: I visit East Coast Aquatics quite often on Chester Pike in Prospect Park, also Arts Pets on MacDade Blvd in Homes (I think).

I too dislike the chain stores, although I did buy my Fluval 305 in the Petsmart on Baltimore Pike in Springfield.

Hope this helps.

11. JSK Member Member

There is a PetSmart close to my house, and no LFS very close, so I do shop there but it is not my choice. I like to try and keep the locals in business when I can, if I have the time to drive and the price is reasonable.

I will say that the people at the PetSmart near here seem pretty good. I see the same 2 or 3 people taking care of the fish every time I go in and they are almost always in and around the tanks, tending something.

I suspect that in the chain stores, there is huge variability depending on the dedication and knowledge of the individual staff people. With that said, I am still hesitant to buy my fish there....

12. Elodea Well Known Member Member

In my Petsmart, the condition of the fish are terrible, so I like to go to the LFS. If you compare glowlight tetras of the stores, the Petsmart's are washed out and starved, but my LFS's are brilliant with a very prominent orange line. However, I do go to Petsmart to get tank ornaments and water conditioners.

13. 1hawaii50 Member Member

I got a 38 gallon tank for Christmas, and I spent 4 days visiting local pet stores scouting out fish. I checked 2 Petsmart's, 1 Petco, 1 LFS, 1 Petland, and a newly opened pet store that I believe was called Pet Supplies. Every single one of them had numerous tanks with dead fish floating in them. Even the new store that has only been open a few months had quite a few tanks with dead fish. How hard is it to scoop the dead fish out of the tank? I've got NO idea where I'm going to buy my fish from once my tank is cycled.

14. play Member Member

The petsmart we have is preety decent except they have 11 1in. pacus in that small tank.

15. t-ace Member Member

Actually, where I live, the petco is the best fish store I have ever been to. Some of the staff aren't very helpfull, but a couple of them are experienced fish keepers. The tanks are always very clean and i haven't had any problems with buying sick fish. On the other hand, the LFS here sucks! They are the only LFS in town and I want to support local business, but I just don't know how they stay in business. Their tanks look terribly dirty and always have dead fish in them.
    I hate to say it but in my case the chain store is far superior to the LPS.

16. FishHobbiest Well Known Member Member

In my case i have 2 stores in my area Petco, and Pets&People. Petco is pretty decent about its tank quality, but then on the other hand Pets&People is pretty far off. Some tanks look clean and flourashing when some tanks like the Spotted puffer tank has green strands of algea running through it. Even walmart had better than that. I have decided to only use Exotic Underworlds the LFS. Its a decent drive but there fish are almost always in health and they even have some tanks up and running with all types of fish just for show.

17. Diggly Well Known Member Member

Pets at home here (I think its a similar brand to petco etc over there) had one of the tanks covered with an aquarium background deco, so naturally me and the bf took a look behind and found 5 dead goldfish and the rest of them with what looked like severe dropsy.

They had covered up the tank instead of removing the dead fish and needless to say I kicked up a huge fuss. I dont know how they can get away with this sort of behaviour and it really saddens me.

18. duckyluv Member Member

I can't stand Petsmart and it is all we have in the town I live in. Always dead fish floating around and the food shelves are almost always bare and never restocked, along with the needed chemical and no, I don't think they ever feed the poor fish. I always see the live fish eating the dead ones. Sad....so sad. I cannot stand them and always comment on their conditions when I go to the store which is quite often. They hate me there.
    Anyway, I am thinking of writing Head Office about them.

19. polojoanne Member Member

I think our version in England is, Pets at home, dreadful we popped in at the weekend and most of the fish covered in white spot, we found an excellent aquatics center a few miles away the staff are so lovely and knowledgeable hey they even know about cycling !! their fish are so healthy and in excellent condition too.makes a nice change.

20. Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

I have had both good and bad experiences at the chain stores. I worked at a Petsmart before and THAT store took good care of the fish. The people who worked the department kept a tight schedule on feedings and water changes based on days of the week and time of day rather than assigning specific tasks to specific people. That way no matter who was working say, Tuesday morning, tanks 1-7 would get water changes that Tuesday morning. They also used permanent markers to draw small dashes on the outside of the tanks showing everyone where the "full" line was and also what level the water line should fall to when they had removed enough water during the water changes. Fish deaths would generally only occur right when we would receive a new shipment and that would be due mainly to the stress of shipping. Fish illness was rare, but the store did keep a few hospital tanks at the ready in a back room just in case. Also, the managers would allow employees to "adopt" sick fish. If a fish was showing signs of a would-be fatal illness and an employee was willing to take it home and try to nurse it back to health, they would be allowed to do so. Many employees had gotten fish that way that made it through with more dedicated TLC. At the chain stores here in Jersey I've had the most success at Petco. Most of my Bettas came from Petco since I've never been too impressed with the ones from my local Petsmarts. Petland (or as I call it DEATHland) is probably the worst chain store in my area. My hubby's first betta was from Petland and it made it less than a week. Every fish that we AND our friends have bought from them died except one. My Jupiter is the lone survivor of all the Petland attempts and he required a treatment of Maracyn/Maracyn 2 for bad fin rot to make it. As for the LFS, there have only been three that have had bettas I liked. One is pretty overpriced on everything so I rarely go in there and I have never bought anything there. One is kind of out of the way so I rarely go there, although I did get one betta, Casper, there. The other is right around the corner and although, for the most part, they only carry VT's I've gotten two of my bettas, Macintosh (Mac for short) and Mako there.

I agree that the level of care the fish receive at a chain store is greatly dependent upon the experience levels of the people who work in the specialty departments. Another big factor is the quality of their suppliers. Some fish may come direct from the supplier already sick. Unfortunately, with a chain store, changing suppliers is a major process which is more often than not, not even worth the trouble for them.