Petsmart-Melbourne,FL

1. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

I don't know if it is all Petsmart stores, but I was looking at the fish and the tank recommendations were ridiculous. They said a Bala Shark is fine in a 20 and a common Pleco is fine in a 30.

Other than that they have cheaper prices than my LFS and are very nice and somewhat knowledgeable.

2. Borisbbadd Guest

I think you have to do your own research before you go in.
    Some of their employees are quite knowledgable, and others are totally up-in-the-night. I always seem to find the latter.

They are quite willing to sell fish that shouldn't be sold to most people, without any regard for the fish. As with anything else anymore, the bottom line is all that really matters. Money is money......right?

They have pretty good prices, and if you are going in to buy, that's great, but if you want information, there are better places to look.

3. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

Wow, the staff at yours is knowledgeable? We had a customer come to the store I work at after going to a Petsmart by us. They told her her tank was finished cycling after she brought in a sample. She just added water to the tank yesterday. No fish. No fishless cycle either. I informed her that her tank hadn't even begun it's cycle and explained the fishless cycle to her. She was very thankful.

Oh, almost for got to mention, this Petsmart told another customer she could have 2 comets in a 1 gallon bowl. They also said to feed them once every few days and you'd only have to do a water change ONCE A MONTH!

A lot of the employees at that Petsmart shop for fish at our store instead. They've told us they're told to feed the fish sparingly once a day. I was appalled. At our store we feed the fish 3 times a day (flakes in the morning, bloodworms & brine shrimp in the afternoon, and pellets in the evening).

4. fishingman001 Well Known Member Member

Doing your own research before buying anything is an excellent idea (especially with living organisms). Yes money is what they are really after.

:;laughing yeah i might have found a rare petsmart. it is awful that they try and spread this information around. 2 comets in a 1 gallon?????? WOW. that is awful. and to make it even worse a change once a month. that is apalling.

5. aquatic mouse Well Known Member Member

Yeah. The customer with the 2 comets called our store to ask if she'd be okay adding a third comet and still be able to do water changes only once a month.

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Crazy stock lists. :(

We have 7 tanks that we feed sparingly once a day. It works for us; keeps nitrate down and pest snail population at a minimum. It's all about finding a balance IMO. We even fast our fish once a week. Our tanks would be a mess if we fed 3x daily, and we do 50% water changes weekly. Just a thought.

7. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

At my local Petsmart, there is one gentlemen who is EXTREMELY knowledgeable in the fishkeeping. The other employees have a tendency to ask me questions about fishkeeping and what is truly compatible. One time, they had convict fry and asked me what to do.

8. wonton55912 Member Member

i once bought a molly from petsmart. it had ich. next time i went the black molly tank had an outbreak of ich

9. mcurtissdsu Well Known Member Member

Petsmart employees told me that putting 2 angels, 4 guppies and a pleco in a 10 gallon after letting the tank sit for one day would be fine.

I don't think it would be surprising to anyone to note that 4 weeks later, 3 of those 7 fish died. They also never said squat about cycling a tank.

10. wonton55912 Member Member

i have a pleco in my 10gal because of them