Petsmart "green Corydoras"

1. Matt Clemente Member Member

I recently bought 4 catfish at Petsmart that were labelled as "Green Corydoras". After I had bought home the fish I went online to research the specific type of cory further, but all that came up was "Emerald Catfish" and I read there's no such thing as an emerald green cory cat. The Petsmart label didn't have emerald in the name, but I can't find anything about a "green cory catfish", only this emerald catfish.

I did some more research and found that the emerald catfish has 10 rays on it's dorsal fin, I looked at my fish and only saw 7, the amount cory cats are supposed to have. But I still don't know what kind I have, so can anybody tell me what this is?

Capture.JPG Capture.JPG

Sorry about the crummy quality, even my $200 camera can't focus on them, they're only an inch and they like to move around a lot :shifty:

2. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

Corydoras aeneus are called green Corydoras. They are quite common and yours look like them. No guarantee, they all look similar to me :)

3. JeffK Well Known Member Member

I agree with @Piaelliott - corydoras aeneus or commonly referred to as "bronze cory," I've seen them listed as "green emerald cory" and typically albino cories are also aeneus.

4. Matt Clemente Member Member

Ok, thank you guys. I wish they could just call them by one name, but what're you gonna do, right? Cheers

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Aeneus indeed. There are several types of this widespred Cory-species.

The green one is seen more often lately.

Yours are beautiful colored but when aging will be a little duller.