Petsmart - Gorgeous Oranda

1. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hi there! So i was about to go to bed when my aunt begged me to talk about this oranda at Petsmart in CA.

He's a real stunner, probably about 6-7", deep burnt orange with a nice healthy wen. He's a beautiful, healthy fish.

She is desperate over him and really wants to see him go to a loving home in a pond or large tank. She wants him herself but cannot fit him anywhere.

Anyway, she's feeling really awful leaving him there and is obsessing over it. I guess that's where I get it from haha. So she's begged me to do this for her - I hope I am not abusing the forum here, I have no affiliation with Petsmart. I just know how it feels when a pet calls out to you.

So if you are looking for an oranda, he's in Canoga Park/Woodland Hills Petsmart (near the Warner Center). And he is really something special. And only $30. Plus tank kits are on sale.

Side note - I feel like Petsmart has been stepping up their game. I keep hearing about more locations that have beautiful, healthy fish.

Here's the best pic she could get of him. Please let me know if anyone gets him so I can ease her mind and tell her he has found a loving home with a good keeper.

Thanks and have yourselves a beautiful night :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. escapay Well Known Member Member

I like the colors! We had one at my store that was gray and large like that size. Finally found a good home.

Generally only those that are really into the goldfish buy those ones it seems. Their price ticket is a lot, at least for many customers I have come through the doors. For example, customers yesterday really liked the Electric Blue GBR, but didn't like the $20 price tag so bought the $6 normal GBRs. They liked the blue ones better, but didn't go with them because they cost too much.

Hopefully the fish finds a good home soon! Ours generally are at the store for a while before finding a home - again, because of that price tag.

3. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

That's actually good to know. I guess most fishkeeping dabblers like the cute, little fish. I take it you work for a store like Petsmart? It's really nice to know there are locations that have knowledgeable staff members on hand.

I stopped in at my local Petco today, which is usually a horror show I totally avoid, and I was impressed. All of the goldfish and koi tanks had written on them in bright, big, wax pencil colors that they need large tanks (fancies) or ponds and can live 30+ years. They wrote that koi can live 60+ years. Who'd-a thunk that awful Petco would be teaching me something haha. The tanks looked really good for once except a couple sick fish (which is major improvement). And the woman who was there looked like she actually cared. So I'm hoping there's more people like you coming on board at that location.

4. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

Maybe they all joined Fishlore. ..that would be great! !!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. escapay Well Known Member Member

Haha, yep - I work at a Petsmart store. The majority of our team has a good idea about fish. I'd say the African Cichlids are probably our downfall, but usually when people want them they have already done research.

Glad to hear your local Petco was more impressive than it has been in the past. In my experience, the knowledge and care for the fish depends on locations and sometimes even depending on timing. Some weeks we, to be honest, don't get to scrub every single tank that week. The worst times are when there are holidays or whenever they do really big sales that draw in more customers than usual. So less focus on maintaining the fish compared to just a normal week.

I wish we could mark on our tanks little tidbits about the fish for customers... maybe something for the future.

6. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Yeah I actually thought it was a really great idea. Usually the tanks there are stuffed to brim with goldfish nose to tail. There are dead fish being eaten by the others. Fin rot, ich, fungus. I don't understand how people buy these fish. I like to think that, even if I didn't know anything about fishkeeping, I would be able to recognize that there was something wrong with a fish like that. And that any fish in those tanks were exposed.

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me pet stores like big box ones have a lot of turn over and it's often hit or miss depending on the location and who works there - in general and that day, right?

It's good your store has someone like you working there to educate customers and other staff members when you can :)

7. escapay Well Known Member Member

Actually my store has only had one new person join the team (and I'm not sure how often she is really in pet care - at least I don't think she does opening tasks or closing tasks) probably in the last month. But before that, it has been at least 6 months if not longer. I'm almost thinking that the last person who left was earlier last year and we added our past pet care manager who moved back into the area. And we added back my coworker who left us to work at a specialty store (we pretty much consider him our reptile expert) and came back probably last fall or maybe it was even before that. Petsmart was better with flexibility for schooling.

So at my store, we don't have a high turnover rate in pet care. Not sure of the other departments, but we've had many people that have been there for a while. I'm currently the person who has been at our store the longest - though we've had transfers that have been with the company even longer and one person came back... she originally was there when the store opened. With being the one around the store for the longest, we did have a higher turnover rate in the past but I feel things have changed. It will be interesting what will happen once one of our coworkers moves on - she's leaving the state, so not sure if that is why the other person was being trained or what.

8. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Well that's good. Stability is good for the fish and other live animals there. Knowledge is lost in transitions.

It sounds like you're part of a pretty good team. I think I'd shop at your Petsmart!